Strength of magnetic field at a point

In summary, the strength of the magnetic field at point P is 7.9×10^-5 T, which is different from the calculated value of 5*10^-5 T. This is because the formula used, B = u*I/(2*pi*d), is for a long straight wire and does not apply to semicircular wires. A different formula is needed to accurately calculate the magnetic field in this situation.
erinec

Homework Statement

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9572/picture2ehv.png

What is the strength of the magnetic field at point P?

The answer is 7.9×10^−5 T.

However, I used the equation B = u*I/(2*pi*d) and keep getting 5*10^-5 T.

Homework Equations

B = u*I / (2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Nearer wire:
B = uI/(2*pi*d) = (1.257*10^-6)(5.0)/(2*pi*0.02) = 0.00005 T
Further wire:
B = uI/(2*pi*d) = (1.257*10^-6)(5.0)/(2*pi*0.01) = 0.0001 T
Total B:
B = 0.0001T - 0.00005T = 0.00005 T

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi erinec,

erinec said:

Homework Statement

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9572/picture2ehv.png

What is the strength of the magnetic field at point P?

The answer is 7.9×10^−5 T.

However, I used the equation B = u*I/(2*pi*d) and keep getting 5*10^-5 T.

Homework Equations

B = u*I / (2*pi*d)

This formula gives the magnitude of the B-field of a long straight wire (at a distance d away from the wire).

But in this problem you don't have straight wires creating the magnetic field at P; the wires are semicircles. Look through your textbook again and see if you can find a formula that better fits this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

It appears that you have made a mistake in your calculation for the strength of the magnetic field at point P. The correct answer is indeed 7.9×10^−5 T. Here is the corrected calculation:

B = u*I / (2*pi*d)
= (1.257*10^-6)*(5.0)/(2*pi*0.02)
= 0.000099 T
= 9.9×10^-5 T
= 7.9×10^-5 T

It seems that you may have accidentally used the distance to the further wire (0.01 m) instead of the distance to point P (0.02 m) in your calculation. This small error can make a big difference in the final answer. Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for each variable. Keep up the good work!

1. What does the strength of a magnetic field at a point mean?

The strength of a magnetic field at a point refers to the amount of force a magnetic field exerts on a charged particle at that specific point.

2. How is the strength of a magnetic field at a point measured?

The strength of a magnetic field at a point is measured in units of Tesla (T) using a magnetometer or a device called a gaussmeter.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field at a point?

The strength of a magnetic field at a point is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the orientation of the source relative to the point.

4. Can the strength of a magnetic field at a point be changed?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field at a point can be changed by altering the properties of the source, such as increasing or decreasing the number of coils in an electromagnet or changing the strength of a permanent magnet.

5. How is the strength of a magnetic field at a point related to the direction of the field?

The strength of a magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the direction of the field. This means that as the direction of the field changes, the strength at the point will also change.