Stress and strain compound bar question

In summary: Looks good, except that I don't understand where the /m2 comes from. This is a force.In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a compound bar using stainless steel and aluminum alloy, with fixed cross sectional areas of 400mm^2 and 300mm^2 respectively. The combination is in tension with a limiting stress of 60MN/m^2 for the aluminum alloy. The maximum stress of the steel is calculated to be 90MN/m^2 and the tensile load is 27KN/m^2. The conversation also includes a discussion on the reasoning behind the equations used to calculate the maximum stress and tensile load.
anthonyk2013
A compound bar is made using stainless steel tube with an aluminium alloy bar positioned concentrically inside it, and rigidly fixed at each end. The cross sectional area of the tube is 400mm^2 and the cross sectional area of the bar is 300mm^2. The combination is in tension and limiting stress in the aluminium alloy is 60MN/m^2.
Calculate the maximum (1) Stress
(2) Tensile load
σ alumimium =60MN/m^2
E of (s)stainless=180GN/m^2
E of (a)aluminium=120GN/m^2

Area of the tube is 400mm^2
Area of aluminium bar is 300mm^2
Area of stainless tube is 300-400=100mm^2

σa/Ea=σs/Es→σa=σs*Ea/Es

σa=σs*120/180→σa=σs*.666

60=σs*.666→σs=60/.666=90

Answer (1)σs=90MN/m^2

(2)Tensile load
F=Fs+Fa
F=σs*As+σa*Aa
F=60*100+90*300
F=6000+27000
F=33000 or 33KN

Past paper question Is the answers right or wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your equations. You start with
σ aluminium =60MN/m^2
, then calculate
σa=40MN/m^2
. Please define your variables.

haruspex said:
i don't understand your equations. You start with , then calculate . Please define your variables.

so its wrong.

I have amended the original solution

anthonyk2013 said:
I have amended the original solution
You still haven't defined your symbols, so I have to guess what they mean.
It looks like σs should mean, by analogy with σa, the limiting stress of the steel. Why should that satisfy the equation σa/Ea=σs/Es? What is the reasoning behind that equation?

The steel tube is extended by some amount, resulting in a certain tension.
The aluminium core is extended by some amount, resulting in a certain tension.
What value is common to those two equations?

haruspex said:
You still haven't defined your symbols, so I have to guess what they mean.
It looks like σs should mean, by analogy with σa, the limiting stress of the steel. Why should that satisfy the equation σa/Ea=σs/Es? What is the reasoning behind that equation?

The steel tube is extended by some amount, resulting in a certain tension.
The aluminium core is extended by some amount, resulting in a certain tension.
What value is common to those two equations?

I don't understand what you mean by defining symbols, σs=stress of steel, σa=stress of aluminium. Is this what you mean.

As for the equation it comes from total force=force of steel+force of aluminium. F=Fs+Fa

Not sure if this is what you want.

anthonyk2013 said:
I don't understand what you mean by defining symbols, σs=stress of steel, σa=stress of aluminium. Is this what you mean.
As for the equation it comes from total force=force of steel+force of aluminium. F=Fs+Fa

Not sure if this is what you want.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. Yes, I agree with your revised solution until here:
F=σs*As+σa*Aa
F=60*100+90*300
To recap:
σa = 60MN/m2
σs = 90MN/m2
Aa = 300mm2
As = 100mm2

haruspex said:
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. Yes, I agree with your revised solution until here:

To recap:
σa = 60MN/m2
σs = 90MN/m2
Aa = 300mm2
As = 100mm2

Ya trying to remember what I was thinking last night, yes your right I need to revise that total force equation did it wrong. Cheers

Last edited:
F=σs*Asa*Aa

F=90*100+60*300

F=9000+18000

F=27000 or 27KN/m2

anthonyk2013 said:
F=σs*Asa*Aa

F=90*100+60*300

F=9000+18000

F=27000 or 27KN/m2

Looks good, except that I don't understand where the /m2 comes from. This is a force.

Likes 1 person

What is stress and strain?

Stress and strain are physical properties that describe how an object responds to external forces. Stress is the amount of force applied to an object, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape or size of the object.

What is a compound bar?

A compound bar is a type of structure that consists of two or more bars of different materials joined together. This allows for a more efficient distribution of stress and strain, as different materials have varying levels of strength and elasticity.

How does stress and strain affect a compound bar?

The stress and strain on a compound bar can cause it to bend, stretch, or compress. The amount of stress and strain experienced by each individual bar in the compound bar is dependent on its material properties and the forces acting upon it.

What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the strain in an object is directly proportional to the stress applied to it, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit. This means that the amount of deformation in an object is directly related to the amount of force applied to it.

How is stress and strain measured in a compound bar?

The stress and strain in a compound bar can be measured using various methods, such as strain gauges, load cells, and extensometers. These devices can accurately measure the amount of deformation and force in the individual bars of the compound bar, allowing for the determination of stress and strain values.