Traction/ Compression stress and strain exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a circular steel bar that is clamped at both ends. The problem requires finding the normal stress in each bar and the horizontal displacement at point B. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas for calculating stress and understanding the forces applied to the bar. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation and references to additional resources for solving the problem.
Wolfrider
Hello everyone, could you help me with this exercise? I am stuck, and I can't find anything on the internet that solves this. Your help is very much appreciated :)

1. Homework Statement

Circular steel bar, clamped at extremities.
Two parts: A(ab)=800mm² A(bc)=400mm²
L(ab)= 400mm L(bc)=300mm
Axial Forces= 100kN
Young modulus E= 210GPa

Need to find: normal stress in each bar, and the horizontal displacement at point B.

Homework Equations

Sigma (Stress) = Axial Force / Area
Youngs modulus = Simga (stress) / Epsilon (strain)
Epsilon (strain)= Delta L / Delta L0

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know how to use the formulas to calculate the normal stress, but only when I have to Axial Force of AB and BC. I don't know how to calulate it, but I know that in this instance it is F AB= 60KN and F BC= -40KN

With this I calculate sigma ab = 60kN / 800mm² = 75MPa and sigma bc = -40kN / 400mm² = -100 MPa
To get Delta AB I use the Young's modulus: (75MPa*0.4m)/210Gpa= 1,42857*10^(-4)m, for Delta BC I switch out the numbers and get the same amount in the opposite direction.

Could you help me understand why in this case the force of AB is 60kN and for BC 40kN?

Regards,
Wolfrider

Physics news on Phys.org
Wolfrider said:
Hello everyone, could you help me with this exercise? I am stuck, and I can't find anything on the internet that solves this. Your help is very much appreciated :)

1. Homework Statement

Circular steel bar, clamped at extremities.
Two parts: A(ab)=800mm² A(bc)=400mm²
L(ab)= 400mm L(bc)=300mm
Axial Forces= 100kN
Young modulus E= 210GPa

Need to find: normal stress in each bar, and the horizontal displacement at point B.

Homework Equations

Sigma (Stress) = Axial Force / Area
Youngs modulus = Simga (stress) / Epsilon (strain)
Epsilon (strain)= Delta L / Delta L0

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know how to use the formulas to calculate the normal stress, but only when I have to Axial Force of AB and BC. I don't know how to calulate it, but I know that in this instance it is F AB= 60KN and F BC= -40KN

With this I calculate sigma ab = 60kN / 800mm² = 75MPa and sigma bc = -40kN / 400mm² = -100 MPa
To get Delta AB I use the Young's modulus: (75MPa*0.4m)/210Gpa= 1,42857*10^(-4)m, for Delta BC I switch out the numbers and get the same amount in the opposite direction.

Could you help me understand why in this case the force of AB is 60kN and for BC 40kN?

Regards,
Wolfrider
Is there a diagram or picture which shows this bar?

The bar itself is statically indeterminate, since it is fixed at both ends. In addition to the normal equations of static equilibrium, you must write additional equations describing the compatibility of displacements internal to the bar.

See http://ocw.nthu.edu.tw/ocw/upload/8/251/Chapter_2.pdf, particularly sections 2.3 and 2.4.

Also, see http://www.assakkaf.com/Courses/ENES220/Lectures/Lecture3 .pdf

1. What is the difference between traction and compression stress and strain exercises?

Traction stress and strain exercises involve pulling or stretching force applied to the body, while compression stress and strain exercises involve pushing or compressing force applied to the body.

2. What are the benefits of traction and compression stress and strain exercises?

Traction and compression stress and strain exercises can help improve joint mobility, increase muscle strength, and reduce pain and stiffness in the affected area. They can also promote better posture and prevent injury.

3. How do traction and compression stress and strain exercises work?

Traction and compression stress and strain exercises work by stimulating the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the affected area, which can help improve blood flow and promote healing. They also help to strengthen the surrounding muscles and improve overall function.

4. Are there any risks or precautions to consider when performing traction and compression stress and strain exercises?

It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning any traction and compression stress and strain exercises, as they may not be suitable for everyone. It is also important to follow proper technique and to start with low intensity and gradually increase as tolerated to avoid potential injury.

5. Can traction and compression stress and strain exercises be used to treat specific conditions?

Yes, traction and compression stress and strain exercises can be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as back pain, neck pain, osteoarthritis, and tendonitis. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and to determine the most appropriate exercises for your specific condition.