Stress on 25 micron Fiber Under Elongation Load

  • Thread starter Thread starter benndamann33
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fiber Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
benndamann33
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
This doesn't seem particularly hard, thought it was simply an F/A situation but apparently not. A fiber with a diameter of 25 micro meters is subjected to elongation load of 25 g along the fiber axis. What is the stress on the fiber? Is the applied stress a shear or a tensiles stress. I said it was a tensil stress and went on to compute F/A. F was .025Kg * 9.8N and A was simply ((25*10^-6)/2)^2*pi. The resultant stress was 500 MPa. The correct answer is .125 MPa. Any suggestions??!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah I'm going with text is wrong, .125 is found by not dividing the radius by 2 and then dividing by a factor of 1000...haha only thing I could find out, but thank you!