Tensile and shear stress in 10mm rivet

• Thread starter chris78
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A load P of 3kN is applied to the tensile member shown and is carried at the joint by
a single rivet. The angle of the shear joint is 45 degrees to the axis of the load. Calculate
the tensile and shear stresses in a 10mm diameter rivet

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Work out Shear force:
[/B]
Shear force 3sin45=2.121kn

Work out tensile force:

Tensile force=3cos45=2.12kn

Tensile stress= force/area

=2121.3/7.853x10^-5
=27009236.08 nm/^2
=27 mn/m2

Shear stress will be the same

I have atttached an image of the question and also my workings out. I am being told that this is incorrect by my tutor......but have been racking my brains to why! Is the resolved triangle in my workings wrong????

Any help would be brilliant as im not sure where/if im going wrong!

Thanks

Attachments

• answer.jpeg
    answer.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 430
  • question.jpeg
    question.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 391

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well, post what you have done ! An illegible sunny picture doesn't help.

[aside:] And don't trust the exercise composer: he/she tries to sell you a 45 degree angle that's clearly drawn at 60 degrees :smile:

I have posted my workings....within the post as well as 'illegible' scribblings......the problem states 45 degrees ?

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have posted my workings....within the post as well as 'illegible' scribblings......the problem states 45 degrees ?
The book solution uses 45 degrees ....answer given is correct for shear and tensile stress. Your answer agrees except be sure to write it properly as 27 MN/m2.

Hi there

Thankyou for you reply......when I handed this in my tutor said I was wrong..but I have been racking my brains to see why....that's why I posted a picture of my workings with my vector triangle to make sure my method is correct

The book solution uses 45 degrees ....answer given is correct for shear and tensile stress. Your answer agrees except be sure to write it properly as 27 MN/m2.
Thanks for your help..........i have just posted another similar question regarding this subject...is it possible you could have a look at it for me,and tell me if im on the correct lines? Again,thanks for your help.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You're welcome.