1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensile and shear stress in 10mm rivet

1. Jan 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A load P of 3kN is applied to the tensile member shown and is carried at the joint by
    a single rivet. The angle of the shear joint is 45 degrees to the axis of the load. Calculate
    the tensile and shear stresses in a 10mm diameter rivet

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Work out Shear force:

Shear force 3sin45=2.121kn

Work out tensile force:

Tensile force=3cos45=2.12kn

Tensile stress= force/area

=2121.3/7.853x10^-5
    =27009236.08 nm/^2
    =27 mn/m2

Shear stress will be the same

I have atttached an image of the question and also my workings out. I am being told that this is incorrect by my tutor......but have been racking my brains to why! Is the resolved triangle in my workings wrong????

Any help would be brilliant as im not sure where/if im going wrong!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, post what you have done ! An illegible sunny picture doesn't help.

[aside:] And don't trust the exercise composer: he/she tries to sell you a 45 degree angle that's clearly drawn at 60 degrees :smile:

4. Jan 14, 2017 #3
    I have posted my workings....within the post as well as 'illegible' scribblings......the problem states 45 degrees ?

5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The book solution uses 45 degrees ....answer given is correct for shear and tensile stress. Your answer agrees except be sure to write it properly as 27 MN/m2.

6. Jan 16, 2017 #5
    Hi there

Thankyou for you reply......when I handed this in my tutor said I was wrong..but I have been racking my brains to see why....that's why I posted a picture of my workings with my vector triangle to make sure my method is correct

7. Jan 16, 2017 #6
    Thanks for your help..........i have just posted another similar question regarding this subject...is it possible you could have a look at it for me,and tell me if im on the correct lines? Again,thanks for your help.

8. Jan 16, 2017 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted