Why does the period increase when the string length is increased?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment about the length of a spring and its period. It was found that the period is proportional to the square root of the string length. By increasing the length, the period also increases because the distance needed to travel is also increased, even if the speed stays the same. The relationship between acceleration, velocity, and the square root of the radius was also explained mathematically. Overall, the participants were able to understand the concept better through this explanation.
dumb
hey,

i have to do an experiment about length of spring and its period, found the relationship, the period is proportional to the square root of the string length. (looks like a pendelum) but i don't understant why when u increase the length, the period increases! tell me y please! urgent :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
By increasing the length of the string, you increase the distance the needed to travel. So even though you have not changed the amplitude or the mass at the end of the string it will still take longer to travel that distance. Simply, it takes longer to complete one cycle if it has further to travel if the speed is not changed.

You have to know if the speed stays the same, the force stays same or neither in order to see the relation. But since you say mention squareroot, i'll presume the force is the same.

acceleration 1= acceleration 2
acceleration=v^2/r
v=2*PI*r/T

So
acceleration=(2*PI*r/T)^2/r
=4*PI^2*r^2/T^2r
=4*Pi^2*r/T^2

So

T^2=4*Pi^2*r/a
T=2*PI*r^0.5/a^0.5

So this is the relation with the square root of the radius.

Nice mathematical explanation! :smile: Dumb, does that help you?

Dumb, if you do it on paper you'll understand better.

THANK U SOO MUCH EVERYONE :biggrin: :biggrin: , i did understand!

1. What is the relationship between string length and period?

The period of a string, or the time it takes for one full oscillation, is directly proportional to the square root of the string's length. This means that as the length of the string increases, the period also increases.

2. How can string length affect the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to the string's length. This means that as the length of the string increases, the frequency decreases. This is because longer strings have a greater distance to travel in one period, resulting in a slower wave.

3. What factors can affect the period of a string?

Aside from the length of the string, the tension and mass of the string can also affect its period. A higher tension or lower mass will result in a shorter period, while a lower tension or higher mass will result in a longer period.

4. How can I calculate the period of a string?

The period of a string can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. Is the period of a string affected by the amplitude of the wave?

No, the period of a string is not affected by the amplitude of the wave. The period is only dependent on the length, tension, and mass of the string.