Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neat-o. Very fractalish.

3. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it sex? Or does kissing or a date count?

There is some gay connections too. Interesting.

One girl had six.. wow.

4. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know this guy has to be totally hot.

Attached Files:

5. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,500
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe, maybe not. If you have a graph and randomly choose to connect each pair of vertexes with an edge with probability p, you expect to get one larger blob and a bunch of smaller disconnected things. So this high school seems to fit the model of people having sex at random

6. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Note the 63 monogomous couples in the lower right. Lumping them together like that gives a bit of a false impression to the graph, eh? Oh, and the 12 lucky guys in the lower right as well.

7. lisab

Wow...I hope he's not allergic to antibiotics.

8. yeah, also they didn't show the physics department, mostly with unconnected dots.

9. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: There went my coke. All over the monitor.

10. berkeman

Mine too. LOL. :rofl:

11. Don't let my wife get a load of this chart or I'm a dead man.

12. I couldn't find any with exception of one but they were also connected to other color dots.

13. Ya, there appears to be one girl who gets around.

14. In the article, the guy wants to emphasize that there are too many linked relationships (and hence helps him in making a conclusion about STDs).

15. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It says "romantic relations" so I'm really not sure if all of those are sexual. And if it's just dating, the circle makes more sense. A group of students who hangs out together a lot is likely to date, and in high school, there are a lot of breakups and new partners within that circle of friends without anything sexual happening. Or, at least that's how it was when I was in high school.

Or, maybe it was just one crazy party where they were all playing spin the bottle.

And, it seems to support the notion that the best place to find people to date are amongst friends of friends.

If it was only reporting sexual interactions, wouldn't there have been at least a few dots all by themselves?

16. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,119
    Gold Member

Some guy is with 7 chicks.... nice.

I really do want to know who make up the ring of sex there in the top left.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  17. lisab

I'm not sure the circle makes sense, whether it's sex or just dating...or just saying "good morning." The other strings range from 2 to 7 dots....then we have this 37-dot string, where the first one just happens to "engage" with the last one in the string, forming a circle.

So even though there's a *lot* of side strings, none of the dots in that circle engaged in any other member of the circle? I find that hard to believe.

I'm making the assumption that each dot is unique.

18. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it's not. Maybe some of those chains off the circle are there because it would be too messy to draw all the lines? I think they may have been trying more for aesthetics than accuracy. But, there isn't even a clear figure legend to help understand how to interpret it, so it's not terribly useful as it's being presented here.

19. Or so it seems ... According to Why Sex is fun? Jared talks about how most of our sex is done privately. Perhaps there was sex but no one "knew".

20. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,119
    Gold Member

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/chains.htm

Looks like it was for a study on STD's so sexual intercourse is assumed i'd think...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook