1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with Baker-Campbell-Haussdorf-like formulas

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been asked to prove [tex]e^{\alpha a}f(a,a^\dagger)e^{-\alpha a}=f(a,a^\dagger+\alpha)[/tex], where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] represent the annihilation and creation operators of the quantum harmonic oscillator, respectively.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I have done is to use the Hadamard Lemma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff_formula). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    I get

[tex]e^{\alpha a}f(a,a^\dagger)e^{-\alpha a}=f(a,a^\dagger)+\frac{\alpha}{1!}[a,f(a,a^\dagger)]+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}[a,[a,f(a,a^\dagger)]]+\ldots[/tex]

but I don't know what to do next.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    It seems that I have to apply some kind of Taylor expansion but I'm not sure on how to do this.

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Consider [itex]f(a,a^{\dagger})=a^{\dagger}[/itex] and [itex]f(a,a^{\dagger})=a[/itex]....what do these considerations tell you about the unitary transformation [itex]f(a,a^{\dagger})\to e^{\alpha a}f(a,a^{\dagger})e^{-\alpha a}[/itex]?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. Oct 17, 2009 #6
    [tex]
    e^{\alpha a}a^\dagger e^{-\alpha a}=a^\dagger+\frac{\alpha}{1!}[a,a^\dagger]+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}[a,[a,a^\dagger]]+\ldots=a^\dagger+\frac{\alpha}{1!}=\alpha+a^\dagger
    [/tex]

[tex]
    e^{\alpha a}a e^{-\alpha a}=a+\frac{\alpha}{1!}[a,a]+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}[a,[a,a]]+\ldots=a
    [/tex]

In this sense the formula seems to be working fine.

Does it mean that the unitary transformation [itex] f(a,a^{\dagger})\to e^{\alpha a}f(a,a^{\dagger})e^{-\alpha a} [/itex] represents a displacement of [itex]\alpha[/itex] in the second argument of [itex] f [/itex]?

8. Oct 17, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly. Under the transformation [itex]f(a,a^{\dagger})\to e^{\alpha a}f(a,a^{\dagger})e^{-\alpha a}[/itex], you have [itex]a\to a[/itex] and [itex]a^{\dagger}\to a^{\dagger}+\alpha[/itex] and hence [itex]f(a,a^{\dagger})\to f(a,a^{\dagger}+\alpha)[/itex]....nice and simple, no Taylor series needed:smile:

9. Oct 17, 2009 #8
    Thanks a lot, I think I finally understand it!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook