1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck At the Last Step Simplifying A Series

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a power series for the function, centered at c, and determine the interval of convergence.

2. Relevant equations
    g(x) = 2 / (1-x^2) , c=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    2 / (1+x)(1-x) = 1/(1+x) + 1/(1-x)

1/(1-(-x)) => Sum [(-1)^n (x^n)], n=0 to infinity. Converges when abs(x) < 1, (-1,1)
    1/(1-x) => Sum x^n, n=0 to infinity. Converges when abs(x) < 1, (-1,1)

So, 2/(1-x^2) = Sum[(-1)^n + 1]x^n, n=0 to infinity.

OK, here's the part that is probably SO simple, but I'm just not seeing it. The book shows the series above, Sum[(-1)^n + 1]x^n, n=0 to infinity is then equal to:

Sum 2x^(2n), n=0 to infinity.

How do you do that last simplification? Sorry for such a simple question, but I'm stuck. :)

Also, the book has the interval of convergence for the series as abs(x^2)<1 or (1,1), which I'm pretty sure is just a typo. It should be (-1,1), right?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Try writing out the first few terms of [itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}((-1)^n+1)x^n[/itex] and see what kind of pattern emerges. Then convert it back into summation notation!

Also, I believe that was a typo that your book had. (1,1) technically isn't even a number, never mind a range of numbers.

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much scurty! I should have tried that, but thought I was missing something basic algebraically. I truly appreciate your help!

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    No problem! I always write series out to see if I find patterns because I'm not really good at visualizing it otherwise.

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    Yes, I learned at least two good lessons here. Write out some terms of a series if necessary, and this forum rocks! Thanks again. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook