Stuck on Algebra 1 Equation: Help Solve for x!

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for x in Algebra 1. The first step involves converting the fractions into a common denominator. Then, the x terms are gathered on one side of the equation while the constant terms are on the other side. The final step is to solve for x by simplifying the equation.
GLprincess02
I have an equation on my homework that looks like this.

[tex]\frac{x}{2}+ \frac{x}{3}+10=x [/tex]

I have to solve for x but have no idea what the first step is. I know I'm making it more complicated than it is, but it's been awhile since I was in Algebra 1! Any ideas??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x}{3} = \frac{3x+2x}{6} [/tex]. So you know have [tex] \frac{5x}{6} + 10 = x [/tex]. Can you take it from there? Remember:

[tex] \frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d} = \frac{ad+cb}{bd} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{5x+60}{6} = x, 5x+60 = 6x, x = 60 [/tex]

Last edited:
1. Bring everything to a common denominator.
(3*x)/6+(2*x)/6+60/6=6*x/6
2. Remove the denominator as it is present in both the left side and the right side of the equation.
3x+2x+60=6x
3. Gather all the x on the right side of the eq.
60=6x-3x-2x
60=x

Thanks

Ah yes, now I remember. I knew it really wasn't that hard as long as you knew which steps to take in which order. Both of these ways of solving it helped me a lot. Thank you very much! :smile:

Related to Stuck on Algebra 1 Equation: Help Solve for x!

1. What is Algebra 1?

Algebra 1 is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two expressions, typically separated by an equal sign. It represents a balance between the two sides of the equation.

3. What does it mean to solve for x?

Solving for x means finding the value of the variable x that makes the equation true. This involves using algebraic techniques to isolate x on one side of the equation.

4. How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an equation, you need to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to keep it balanced. This could include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or exponentiation.

5. What are some common techniques for solving algebraic equations?

Some common techniques for solving algebraic equations include combining like terms, using the distributive property, isolating the variable, and solving for the variable using inverse operations.