Troubleshooting Inverse Algebra Equations: Solving for A in a Complex Equation

In summary, a user named Jeff posed a problem in an online forum, asking for help with an algebraic equation. Other users questioned the meaning of the constants in the equation, and one user provided a rewritten and simplified version of the equation. Eventually, the problem was solved with the help of other users. The process of solving the equation was described as unconventional but effective for the self-taught individual.
Jeff Cook
All,

Hey, it's been a while since I've posted, but I have a problem that I am having a hard time moving forward with. I know there are some really intelligent algebra folks in here, and it would be great if someone could help me with this. The equation is kinda large, but there are other difficulties other than the size that keep me from solving it. I keep getting turned around with the inverse on the opposite side.

Here's the problem...

How would one go about solving for A in the following:

(C/(.5 (2^.5 + 1)(A^-1 - B)) + 2.5^-1)^-1 = (18A-F)^-1 (14A - F/V)

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Most of that is really ambiguous...

Ambiguous? What do you mean? It's just an equation. I am trying to solve for A. What's ambiguous about that?

What exactly are F,V,C,A and B?

Mostly just the exponents, but assuming you only meant the -1 to be in the explonent. Mathematica gives two solutions though I don't know how helpful they are..

{A -> 1/((2.88989*10^9 B + 2.70298*10^9 C) V)(-4.66112*10^7 B F +
9.65349*10^7 C F + 1.44495*10^9 V + 1.16528*10^8 B F V -
0.5 \[Sqrt]((-1.9307*10^8 C F +
B F (9.32224*10^7 - 2.33056*10^8 V) - 2.88989*10^9 V)^2 -
4. (2.88989*10^9 B + 2.70298*10^9 C) F V (-9.32224*10^7 +
2.33056*10^8 V)))}

{A -> 1/((2.88989*10^9 B + 2.70298*10^9 C) V)
0.5 (-9.32224*10^7 B F + 1.9307*10^8 C F + 2.88989*10^9 V +
2.33056*10^8 B F V + \[Sqrt]((-1.9307*10^8 C F +
B F (9.32224*10^7 - 2.33056*10^8 V) - 2.88989*10^9 V)^2 -
4. (2.88989*10^9 B + 2.70298*10^9 C) F V (-9.32224*10^7 +
2.33056*10^8 V)))}

Note that mathematica uses spaces to imply multiplication.

rock.freak667 said:

They're variables

Jeff Cook said:
How would one go about solving for A in the following:

(C/(.5 (2^.5 + 1)(A^-1 - B)) + 2.5^-1)^-1 = (18A-F)^-1 (14A - F/V)

This is your equation:

[tex]\left(\frac{C}{.5 (\surd 2 + 1)(A^{-1} - B)} + 2/5\right)^{-1} = \frac{14A - F/V}{18A-F}[/tex]

The only thing I did was replace [itex]2^{.5}[/itex] with [itex]\surd 2[/itex], replace [itex]2.5^{-1}[/itex] with [itex]2/5[/itex], and express the right-hand side in fractional form.

Jeff Cook said:
rock.freak667 said:
They're variables

Only A is a variable; this is what you want to solve for. The rest (F,V,C, and B) are unspecified constants. The first thing you should do is to clear the fraction on the left hand side -- this one:

[tex]C/(.5 (\surd 2 + 1)(A^-1 - B))[/tex]

To do this, multiply by [itex]A/A[/itex]. You might want to multiply by [itex]2/2[/itex] at the same time. Then add 2/5, but form the result as a fraction so you can invert it. You will eventually end up with something like

[tex]\frac {k_1 A + b_1}{k_2 A + b_2} = \frac {k_3 A + b_3}{k_4 A + b_4}[/tex]

which is obviously a quadratic.

D H said:
Only A is a variable; this is what you want to solve for. The rest (F,V,C, and B) are unspecified constants. QUOTE]

In both Computer Science and Mathematics, the term, "variable," "is a symbolic representation used to denote a quantity or expression. In mathematics, a variable often represents an "unknown" quantity that has the potential to change; in computer science, it represents a place where a quantity can be stored. Variables are often contrasted with constants, which are known and unchanging." ...at least according to Wikipedia. But these semantics are aside from the point.

In any case, DH, thanks greatly for rewriting my equation in a more readable way. I am not up to speed yet on the proper conventions for preparing math in this forum. Thanks!

Is this a fourth degree polynomial when you say quadratic?

Jeff Cook said:
Is this a fourth degree polynomial when you say quadratic?

No, It is a second degree polynomial. It should be obvious if you cross-multiply the final form DH gave.

DH and all,

Thanks for your help. I was able to solve the equation finally due to your comments. However, no matter how hard I try, I cannot bring myself to think like the schooled mathematician; this is, of course, due to the fact that I am self-taught. What may seem obvious to you and the rest of the mathematicians in the world is not something that I can see all the time. In the same, what seems obvious to me often makes no sense to others. But such is my experiences.

In any case, this is how I went about solving the equation with your help. It’s kind of like going around one’s elbow to get to their x-hole, but this is sometimes the way I prefer to work…never know what’s going to turn up along the way. True it may take me 10^10 times as long, but it’s the only way I seem to be able to manage my work.

I took the equation and multiplied the left-hand side by 2A/2A, as you suggested. However, it is unclear to me what the addition of the 2/5 would do, so I ignored it.

(C / (.5 (2^.5 + 1) (A^-1 – B) + (1/2.5))^-1 = (14A / (18A – F)) – (F / (V (18A – F)))

2CA / (.5 Sqrt {2} + .5) (1/A – B) + (2A/2.5) = 2A / ((14A / (18A – F)) – (F / (V (18A – F))))

2CA / ((.5 Sqrt {2})/A + .5/A - .5 Sqrt {2} B + (2A/2.5) = 2A (18A – F) / (14A – F/V)

(14A – F/V)(2CA / (((.5 Sqrt {2}) / A + .5/A - .5 Sqrt {2} B - .5B) + (2A / 2.5) = 36A^2 – 2FA

Set: y = .5 Sqrt {2} / A + 5 / A - .5 Sqrt {2} B - .5B

…for the time being. Rearrange to get…

A (28C / y – 36 + 28/2.5) – 2CF / yV = -2F + 2F / 2.5V

Set: D = 36 – 28 / 2.5
And set: G = -2F + 2F / 2.5V

A (28C / y – D) = G + 2CF / yV

Open up y again and rearrange to get…

A ((28CVA – 2CF) / (GV + DVA) + .5B + .5 Sqrt {2} B) = .5 Sqrt {2} + .5

Set H = .5 Sqrt {2} + .5
And set M = B (.5 + .5 Sqrt {2})

To look at it as:

A ((28CVA – 2CF) / (GV + DVA) + M) = H

Rearrange and bring everything over to the right hand side:

0 = HG / A^2 + ((1 / A) (-MG + 2CF/V + HD)) + (-28C - MD)

x = 1 / A
a = HG
b = (-MG + 2CF/V + HD)
c = (-28C – MD)

x = (-b +- Sqrt {b^2 – 4ac}) / 2a

A = 1 / x

That’s the way I solved it, but yes, still stuck on the inverse. I just always feel better looking at things upside down. :)

Thanks for all your help! I wasn’t able to do it without you.

Jeff

FAQ: Troubleshooting Inverse Algebra Equations: Solving for A in a Complex Equation

What is "Stuck on the inverse"?

"Stuck on the inverse" is a phrase commonly used in math or science, referring to the concept of finding the inverse of a mathematical function or solving for the unknown variable in an equation.

Why is finding the inverse important?

Finding the inverse of a function allows us to reverse the effects of the original function and solve for the original input value. This is useful in many applications, such as solving for initial conditions in physics problems or finding the original value of a variable in a financial equation.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you must switch the input and output variables and solve for the new output variable. This can be done algebraically or graphically by reflecting the original function over the line y=x.

What is the difference between a one-to-one and a many-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input has only one corresponding output, while a many-to-one function has multiple inputs that can result in the same output. Finding the inverse of a one-to-one function is relatively straightforward, while finding the inverse of a many-to-one function can be more complex.

Can every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has only one corresponding output. If a function is not one-to-one, its inverse will not exist.