Stuck Proving a Limit Doesn't exist

• Thread starter rhololkeolke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Stuck
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the limit or proving that it does not exist for the expression (4-xy)/(4+xy) as (x,y) approaches (2,-2). The person had trouble finding a function that would give a limit, despite trying various paths. Finally, they determined that no matter what path is taken, the limit does not exist. The conversation also clarified that it is not necessary to find two functions with different values, but rather to show that the limit does not exist along any path.
rhololkeolke

Homework Statement

The problem is to either find the limit or show that it does not exist [tex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(2,-2)}\frac{4-xy}{4+xy}[/tex]

I've been able to do similar problems to this such as
[tex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{xy}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] where I took two different paths to the limit and found that they were not equal and so it didn't exist. However, for this one I can't seem to pick a function that gives me a limit that exists let alone two functions that give me two different limits.

I've tried coming from the following paths for the problem
[tex]y=-x[/tex]
[tex]y=x-4[/tex]
[tex]y=-2[/tex]
[tex]y=x^2-6[/tex]
[tex]x=2[/tex]

No matter which one I do I can't seem to get anything to cancel out in order to simplify it to one that I can perform the limit on. Are there two functions that I can use to get this limit and how would I find these. If there aren't then how would I prove that this limit exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with y=(-x). Put that in and let x->2. What do you conclude?

When I plug in y=-x the limit becomes
[tex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(2,-2)}\frac{4+x^2}{4-x^2}[/tex]
But then when I substitute in the values I still end up with 8/0 which is undefined. Am I doing something wrong when I plug in that function?

You don't really just 'plug in'. You think about what happens as x approaches 2. And you are right, the numerator goes to 8 and the denominator goes to 0. I would say the limit doesn't exist. The quotient just gets larger and larger as x->2.

So I don't have to show that multiple paths equal different things in this case just that one of the paths doesn't exist?

rhololkeolke said:
So I don't have to show that multiple paths equal different things in this case just that one of the paths doesn't exist?

Right. In this case there is no limit along ANY path. No matter what the path you still get an 8/0 type quotient.

Thank you. That makes so much sense now. I was under the impression that we had to find two functions with different values but now I can see that this works too.

What does it mean to prove a limit doesn't exist?

Proving a limit doesn't exist means showing that a mathematical function does not approach a specific value as its input variable approaches a certain value. In other words, the limit of the function does not exist at that specific value.

Why is it important to prove a limit doesn't exist?

Proving a limit doesn't exist is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific value. It also helps us determine if a function is continuous at that value, which has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

What methods can be used to prove a limit doesn't exist?

There are several methods that can be used to prove a limit doesn't exist, including the ε-δ definition of a limit, the squeeze theorem, and the use of discontinuities or vertical asymptotes in the function.

Can a limit exist at one value but not at another?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to exist at one value but not at another. This is because the behavior of a function can differ at different points, and the conditions for a limit to exist may only be satisfied at certain values.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to prove a limit doesn't exist?

No, there are no shortcuts or tricks to prove a limit doesn't exist. It requires a thorough understanding of the concept of limits and the specific function being analyzed, as well as the use of logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show that the limit does not exist.