Solve My Constant Problem: Integral Sign + -2

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving integrals and the placement of a minus sign. The expert provides clarification on the correct application of the minus sign and the role of certain elements in the equation. The individual seeking help expresses gratitude for the clarification.
Eni
I don’t understand how the second (-2) (in front of the integral sign) gets into the equation. Can you please help me?View attachment 8766

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It's not clear to me which equality your question is about. Besides the line "Not counting..." you post contains a single equality, the one with yellow marks in the left-hand side. This equality is correct because it simply moves the minus in front of $e^{-x}$ outside the integral, just like the text in the previous line says. Twos marked in yellow don't participate in this transformation. As for the first line, it's only half of an equation, so it is not clear what is being claimed about it.

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks, I reviewed it again and it seems I just needed "fresh eyes/mind" to look at the problem. Thanks again!

1. What is an integral sign and how does it relate to my constant problem?

The integral sign (∫) is a mathematical symbol used to represent the process of integration, which is a way to find the area under a curve. In the context of your constant problem, the integral sign is used to solve for the value of the constant in your equation.

2. Why is there a -2 after the integral sign in my constant problem?

The -2 in the integral sign + -2 represents the lower limit of integration, which specifies the starting point for the integration process. This means that the integral will be evaluated from -2 to the upper limit, which is typically represented by the variable x.

3. How do I solve for the constant in my equation using the integral sign + -2?

To solve for the constant, you will need to set up and solve an integral equation. This involves using the integral sign, the limits of integration, and the integrand (the function being integrated) to set up the equation. Once the integral is evaluated, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the constant.

4. Can the constant in my equation be solved without using the integral sign + -2?

Yes, there are other methods for solving for a constant in an equation, such as substitution or solving a system of equations. However, the integral sign + -2 method is commonly used in calculus and can provide a more precise solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving a constant problem using the integral sign + -2?

One tip is to carefully choose the limits of integration to ensure that the integral is solvable and that the solution is accurate. It is also important to check your work and make sure that the solution makes sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, practicing with different types of constant problems can help improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.