Study buddies for 'A First Course in General Relativity' by B. Schutz

In summary, this book is about the theory of relativity, which is a way of looking at the universe that is different from the way we usually think about it. The author suggests that we should read the book together, and then ask questions afterwards, to help us understand the material. It's an interesting idea, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
DarthMatter
Hi,

I decided to learn about relativity with this book, and I'm looking for people who would like to read it with me and discuss :thumbs:.
Since I'm a little busy at the moment the pace will be quite slow, let's say about a chapter each two weeks (or more later for more advanced chapters). We could have a little chat during reading the chapters, if questions arise, and afterwards, say each second Friday, when everyone should have completed the chapter. Everyone is welcome, but please let's take this big fun a little more serious and not quit after two chapters, which was an earlier experience with another book :cry:.

Who's in? :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
DarthMatter said:
I decided to learn about relativity with this book, and I'm looking for people who would like to read it with me and discuss :thumbs:.
You could always just study it yourself, ask questions on this forum when there's something you don't understand, and use the "Advanced Physics Homework" forum if you have trouble with exercises or detailed calculations.

The up-side of this approach is that you don't need a permanent study-buddy. And when you ask questions here, you're more likely to get a well-informed response. (I.e., less blind-leading-the-blind.)

The down-side is that you need sufficient self-discipline to slog through significant amounts of work for yourself.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, which I already considered silently :smile: - but reading with others is more fun IMHO. If nobody wants to read the book at the moment (would you like to read other books, which may be even better?), I will read it on my own and post some quick reviews and questions here, what I enjoyed learning most, where I had problems, etc. But I will wait another week before I start.

DarthMatter said:
[...] but reading with others is more fun IMHO.
I attempted that a couple of times in years long past, but it was never sustainable. There were differences in speed, for one thing.

It's better to move at one's own pace, and (when necessary) get help from people who actually know the subject. :biggrin:

I think it's great that you are taking the initiative to learn about general relativity and are seeking study buddies to help you along the way. It's always beneficial to have a group of like-minded individuals to discuss and clarify concepts with.

I would suggest setting a more specific and realistic timeline for completing each chapter, as two weeks may not be enough time for some of the more complex chapters. Additionally, it may be helpful to establish a platform for communication and discussion, such as a group chat or forum, to make it easier for everyone to participate and ask questions.

Overall, I think this is a great idea and I encourage you to continue with your study group and stay committed to learning about general relativity. It is a fascinating and important topic in the field of physics. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is the purpose of having study buddies for 'A First Course in General Relativity' by B. Schutz?

The purpose of having study buddies for this book is to provide a collaborative and supportive learning environment for students who are studying general relativity. By working together and discussing difficult concepts, students can deepen their understanding and improve their overall comprehension of the subject.

2. How do I find study buddies for this book?

You can find study buddies by reaching out to your classmates, joining a study group or forum dedicated to general relativity, or by asking your professor for recommendations. You can also reach out to other students through online platforms or social media groups.

3. What are the benefits of having study buddies for this book?

Having study buddies can provide several benefits, including the opportunity to discuss and clarify difficult concepts, share notes and study materials, and hold each other accountable for studying and completing assignments. It can also help reduce stress and improve overall academic performance.

4. How often should I meet with my study buddies?

The frequency of meetings with study buddies can vary depending on individual schedules and study habits. It is recommended to have regular meetings, at least once a week, to discuss and review material. However, you and your study buddies can also schedule additional meetings as needed.

5. Can I join a study group if I am studying this book independently?

Yes, you can join a study group even if you are studying the book independently. Study groups can provide a valuable resource for self-study students as they can offer support, feedback, and a sense of community. Additionally, being part of a study group can help you stay motivated and on track with your studies.