Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study buddies for 'A First Course in General Relativity' by B. Schutz

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I decided to learn about relativity with this book, and I'm looking for people who would like to read it with me and discuss :thumbs:.
    Since I'm a little busy at the moment the pace will be quite slow, lets say about a chapter each two weeks (or more later for more advanced chapters). We could have a little chat during reading the chapters, if questions arise, and afterwards, say each second Friday, when everyone should have completed the chapter. Everyone is welcome, but please lets take this big fun a little more serious and not quit after two chapters, which was an earlier experience with another book :cry:.

Who's in? :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

You could always just study it yourself, ask questions on this forum when there's something you don't understand, and use the "Advanced Physics Homework" forum if you have trouble with exercises or detailed calculations.

The up-side of this approach is that you don't need a permanent study-buddy. And when you ask questions here, you're more likely to get a well-informed response. (I.e., less blind-leading-the-blind.)

The down-side is that you need sufficient self-discipline to slog through significant amounts of work for yourself.

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply, which I already considered silently :smile: - but reading with others is more fun IMHO. If nobody wants to read the book at the moment (would you like to read other books, which may be even better?), I will read it on my own and post some quick reviews and questions here, what I enjoyed learning most, where I had problems, etc. But I will wait another week before I start.

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

I attempted that a couple of times in years long past, but it was never sustainable. There were differences in speed, for one thing.

It's better to move at one's own pace, and (when necessary) get help from people who actually know the subject. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook