1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study plan for Spivak's Calculus

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    The main textbook for my calculus course is much easier to grasp than Spivak's,
    and I may be in risk of getting behind the class, as I take much more time in each subject when using spivak instead of the indicated book.

Then, I was thinking about solving all the exercises on spivak which have answers in the book (I think they're 1/2 of the total), and moving on to the next chapter's, to come back for all exercises if I find some free time.

Is it a good plan? Will I be able to understand the next chapters by doing only half of the exercises?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, certainly. In fact, you'll be able to understand everything without making any exercise at all!! I don't think Spivak hides essential stuff in his exercises...

That said, exercises improve your intuiton and might give you examples, counterexamples, techniques, etc. that you wouldn't normally have. So while making exercises isn't necessary, it certainly has a lot of value. The more exercises you make, the more you understand what exactly is going on!

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3
    Thank you. I've always had some doubt about what is best, in relation to time spent and amount or learning: reading or exercising. I'd rather be able to read and learn, and apply the knowledge only when really necessary, instead of spending a lot of time exercising, but I'm coming to the conclusion that exercising is way better then reading and re-reading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook