Study Special Relativity: 6th Formers, Books & Websites

In summary, the conversation discusses resources for studying special relativity at the 6th form level. The suggestions include Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics, A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime by Thomas Moore, and a free online text. The conversation also recommends a book for pre-University students.
TheAnt
Hello, I have often heard special relativity was not too difficult to study. I was wondering as a 6th former what knowledge is needed to do so and if it was even possible at my level. If yes does anyone suggest any good books or websites? I am searching for a more in depth mathematical explanation as i have already read many books that explained the theory without tackling the mathematical side of things.

Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is a good textbook giving an introduction to SR. See here:

http://www.eftaylor.com/special.html

Note that the free download here is the first chapter of the first edition (which is the one I learned SR from); but the most current edition (which you will have to buy, the Amazon link is on the page given above) is the second, published in 1992.

PeterDonis said:
Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is a good textbook giving an introduction to SR. See here:

http://www.eftaylor.com/special.html

Note that the free download here is the first chapter of the first edition (which is the one I learned SR from); but the most current edition (which you will have to buy, the Amazon link is on the page given above) is the second, published in 1992.
Thank you Ill check it out

haushofer said:
I really like A traveler's guide.
Do you mean 'A traveler's guide to spacetime'?

TheAnt said:

By Thomas Moore.

I recommend this book for you.

TheAnt said:
Yes. For me it's still the perfect introduction. And I've seen a lot :P

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects move at high speeds, specifically near the speed of light. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. Why is it important to study special relativity?

Studying special relativity allows us to understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how they apply to high-speed objects. It also has practical applications, such as in GPS systems and particle accelerators.

3. What topics are covered in a 6th form special relativity course?

A 6th form special relativity course may cover topics such as time dilation, length contraction, the Lorentz transformation, and the twin paradox. It may also include the history and development of the theory, as well as real-world applications.

4. What are some recommended books for studying special relativity?

Some recommended books for studying special relativity include "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Special Relativity" by A.P. French.

5. Are there any helpful websites for learning about special relativity?

Yes, there are many websites that offer resources for learning about special relativity. Some popular ones include the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, HyperPhysics, and the Khan Academy. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions have online courses or lectures available for free.