Studying for exam- telescope problem (help )

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the diameter of an optical telescope on Earth needed to resolve a lunar lander that is 3 meters across and located 3.8e8 meters away on the moon. The equation theta=1.22lamda/d is suggested, but it is unclear how to proceed. The conversation then suggests using a typical value for lambda and solving for d, with theta being the angular separation of two points that can just be resolved. It is determined that the angular separation is equal to the size of the lander divided by the distance to it.
twinkle24
studying for exam- telescope problem (help!)

Homework Statement

What diameter optical telescope on the Earth would you need to resolve a lunar lander 3 m across on the surface of the moon 3.8e8m away?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing I can think of is to use theta=1.22lamda/d... but what do I do with it? help!

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to assume a typical value for lambda. A wavelength in the visible spectrum.
d is the diameter you need to calculate.
theta is the angular separation of two points that can just be resolved.
What is the angular separation of those two points on the moon?

oh! that makes sense. so is the angular separation the size of the lander divided by the distance to it?

That should work fine.

(Welcome to Physics Forums, by the way)

yay! thank you!

Related to Studying for exam- telescope problem (help )

1. How do I study effectively for an exam about telescopes?

There are many strategies for studying effectively for an exam about telescopes. Some tips include creating flashcards to review important terms and concepts, practicing with sample problems, and studying in short intervals rather than cramming all at once.

2. What are the key concepts I should focus on when studying for this exam?

Some key concepts to focus on when studying for an exam about telescopes may include understanding the different types of telescopes, their components and functions, how telescopes gather and focus light, and the properties of light that are important for understanding telescopes.

3. How can I improve my understanding of complex topics related to telescopes?

One way to improve your understanding of complex topics related to telescopes is to break them down into smaller, more manageable chunks. You can also try discussing these topics with classmates or seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

4. What resources are available to help me study for this exam?

There are many resources available to help you study for an exam about telescopes. These may include textbooks, online resources, study guides, and practice exams. Your teacher or professor may also have additional materials or recommendations.

5. How can I approach problem-solving questions on this exam?

When approaching problem-solving questions on an exam about telescopes, it is important to first read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, use your understanding of key concepts and equations to work through the problem step by step. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck on a particular question.