Subfield of Reals: Q(pi^(1/3))

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1
[SOLVED] field theory

Homework Statement


Assume pi is transcendental over Q. Find a subfield F of the reals such that pi is algebraic of degree 3 over F.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Umm...the only subfield I know of the reals is the rationals. Is the answer Q(pi^(1/3))? Do people understand the that simple extension notation? How would you read Q(pi^(1/3)) in English?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think a field containing [itex]\pi^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] would also contain [itex]\pi[/itex], so [itex]\pi[/itex] would end up being algebraic of degree zero.

[itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{\pi})[/itex] can be read as "the rational numbers adjoin the cube root of pi."
 
NateTG said:
I think a field containing [itex]\pi^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] would also contain [itex]\pi[/itex], so [itex]\pi[/itex] would end up being algebraic of degree zero.

Do you mean degree 1?

What should I adjoin to Q then? pi^3?
 
Yes, and you use the fact that pi is transcendental to show that pi is not contained in Q(pi^3).
 
masnevets said:
Yes, and you use the fact that pi is transcendental to show that pi is not contained in Q(pi^3).

It just seems obvious that there is now way you get pi with a polynomial over the rationals evaluated at pi^3. Is there a better explanation?

Also, I understand why adjoining pi^(1/3) makes no sense. But can you explain the thought-process that gave away why adjoining pi^3 does give you a third-degree polynomial that has pi as a zero and why there is no first or second degree polynomial in Q(pi^3) that will have pi as a zero?
 
ehrenfest said:
It just seems obvious that there is now way you get pi with a polynomial over the rationals evaluated at pi^3. Is there a better explanation?

Also, I understand why adjoining pi^(1/3) makes no sense. But can you explain the thought-process that gave away why adjoining pi^3 does give you a third-degree polynomial that has pi as a zero and why there is no first or second degree polynomial in Q(pi^3) that will have pi as a zero?

The first part is easy - the polynomial with [itex]\pi[/itex] as a solution will be:
[tex]x^3-\pi^3[/tex]

For the second part, the existence of such polynomials would require the field to contain [itex]\pi[itex]or [itex]\pi^2[/itex].[/itex][/itex]