Subgroups of Relatively Prime Index

In summary, the poster is trying to find a bijection between the cosets of K in G and the cosets of H intersect K in H, but they are unable to figure it out.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Let H and K be subgroups of G of finite index such that [G:H] and [G:K] are relatively prime. Prove that G = HK.

The attempt at a solution
All I know is that [G:H intersect K] = [G:H] [G:K]. What would be nice is if [G:HK] = [G:H] [G:K] / [G:H intersect K], for then I would be done. Anywho, I must somehow show that [G:HK] = 1 or prove that G = HK directly. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
morphism said:
Funny. The poster knows the part of the proof I do not and I know the part of the proof that the poster does not. Do you know what counting principle the poster is talking about? In any case, the poster states that "it will come down to saying that |HK|=c|G| for some multiple c", but then the poster is assuming that G is finite.

If HK is finite, then

[tex]|HK| = \frac{|H||K|}{|H \cap K|}.[/tex]

This is the counting principle the was poster was referring to.

Of course it won't do us much good here, because G isn't finite (something I missed when I looked at your post). The problem is more difficult without this assumption; here's a hint: use the fact that [G:H intersect K]=[G:H][G:K] to deduce that [G:K]=[H:H intersect K]. Then show that this implies that G=HK (look at the cosets of K in G and the cosets of H intersect K in H).

If [G:K]=[H:H intersect K], there must be some kind of bijection between the cosets of K in G and the cosets of H intersect K in H. However, I'm unable to figure out what that bijection could possibly be. Hmm...this is harder than I thought.

I think you should try to finish this off by yourself. It's one of those problems that'll give you a massive headache until you finally notice the right way to go about doing them. This is a valuable educational experience! Good luck.

OK. I'll try. Thanks for your help.

1. What are subgroups of relatively prime index?

Subgroups of relatively prime index are subgroups of a larger group that have a prime number as their index. This means that the order of the subgroup is relatively prime to the order of the larger group.

2. How do subgroups of relatively prime index relate to the larger group?

Subgroups of relatively prime index are important because they provide a way to understand the structure and properties of the larger group. They can also help in proving certain theorems about the group.

3. Can a subgroup have a relatively prime index to itself?

No, a subgroup cannot have a relatively prime index to itself. This is because the index of a subgroup must be a divisor of the order of the larger group.

4. What is the significance of a subgroup having a relatively prime index?

A subgroup having a relatively prime index means that the subgroup is not a proper subgroup of any other subgroup of the larger group. This makes it a maximal subgroup, and it can provide information about the structure of the larger group.

5. How are subgroups of relatively prime index useful in number theory?

Subgroups of relatively prime index have applications in number theory, particularly in the study of modular arithmetic and finite fields. They also have connections to the Chinese Remainder Theorem and the Euler totient function.