What Is the Relationship Between Coset Sizes in a Group?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement proves that if a set has at least one element in it, then the set union of that set with any other set has at least one element in it as well.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##H\leq K\leq G## and ##[G : K]## and ##[K : H]## are finite, then ##[G:K]\cdot [K : H]=[G : H]##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt. We first note that $$G = \bigcup_{x\in G} xK ~\text{and}~ K=\bigcup_{y\in K}yH$$.
So $$G = \bigcup_{x\in G} x\bigcup_{y\in K}yH = \bigcup_{(x,y)\in G \times K}xyH$$ Now we show that ##G## is a disjoint union. Suppose that ##xyH \cap x'y'H \not = \emptyset##. Then there is some nontrivial ##x## such that ##x = xyh=x'y'h'## for some ##h,h'\in H##. But then it's clear that ##xyH=x'y'H##. Hence we have a disjoint union.

This is where I get stuck. Is there some way I can glean from what I proved the fact that ##[G:K]\cdot [K : H]=[G : H]##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
So $$G = \bigcup_{x\in G} x\bigcup_{y\in K}yH = \bigcup_{(x,y)\in G \times K}xyH$$
I'd say you have ##G= \cup_{(xy)\in G}\,(xy)H##, because there is no need for an external direct product. All ##y\in K## are also in ##G## and so are ##xy \in G##. No need for a separation.
Now we show that ##G## is a disjoint union. Suppose that ##xyH \cap x'y'H \not = \emptyset##. Then there is some nontrivial ##x##...
Say we have a ##g\in G##, regardless of whether it is ##g=e##.
... such that ##x = xyh=x'y'h'##...
##g=xyh=x'y'h'##
... for some ##h,h'\in H##. But then it's clear that ##xyH=x'y'H##. Hence we have a disjoint union.
I do not see it immediately, since ##x## and ##y## do not commute. IMO there should be some more reasoning, especially as the double usage of ##x## in one and the same equation is a bit weird.
This is where I get stuck. Is there some way I can glean from what I proved the fact that ##[G:K]\cdot [K : H]=[G : H]##?
See my first remark. The introduction of an artificial external direct product, let it be groups or just sets, is the reason why you are trapped.

fresh_42 said:
I'd say you have ##G= \cup_{(xy)\in G}\,(xy)H##, because there is no need for an external direct product. All ##y\in K## are also in ##G## and so are ##xy \in G##. No need for a separation.
Say we have a ##g\in G##, regardless of whether it is ##g=e##.##g=xyh=x'y'h'##
I do not see it immediately, since ##x## and ##y## do not commute. IMO there should be some more reasoning, especially as the double usage of ##x## in one and the same equation is a bit weird.

See my first remark. The introduction of an artificial external direct product, let it be groups or just sets, is the reason why you are trapped.
Well even if I have the disjoint union ##G = \bigcup_{(xy)\in G} xyH## I'm not seeing how to conclude that ##[G: K][K : H] = [G : H]##

You could show ##|G|\stackrel{(*)}{=}|G:U|\cdot |U|## instead, and simply use this equation repeatedly. Your approach would do the same, but with all versions of the proof for ##(*)##, i.e. all steps for ##H\leq K\; , \;H\leq G\; , \;K\leq G## repeated in three versions, if you count the elements in your cosets and the number of cosets.

1. How can we show that [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] for a group G and its subgroups H and K?

To show that [G:H]=[G:K][K:H], we can use the Lagrange's theorem which states that for a finite group G and its subgroup H, the index [G:H] is equal to the number of cosets of H in G. Similarly, we can apply this theorem for the subgroup K and [K:H] is equal to the number of cosets of H in K. By definition, cosets are distinct subsets of G that partition G. Therefore, [G:K][K:H] is equal to the number of distinct subsets of G that can be formed by taking one coset from [G:K] and one coset from [K:H]. This is the same as the number of cosets of H in G, which is equal to [G:H]. Hence, we have shown that [G:H]=[G:K][K:H].

2. Can we use other theorems to prove that [G:H]=[G:K][K:H]?

Yes, there are other theorems that can be used to prove this equality. For example, the Second Isomorphism Theorem states that for a group G and its subgroups H and K, [G:H]/[K:H]=[G:K]. Using this theorem, we can rewrite [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] as [G:H]/[K:H]=[G:K]/[K:H]. Since [K:H] is a common factor on both sides, we can cancel it out to get [G:H]=[G:K], which is true by the Second Isomorphism Theorem. Therefore, [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] holds true.

3. Is it necessary for H and K to be subgroups of G in order to show that [G:H]=[G:K][K:H]?

Yes, in order for [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] to hold, H and K must be subgroups of G. This is because the index [G:H] and [G:K] only make sense when H and K are subgroups of G. Additionally, we need to use the concept of cosets, which are formed by multiplying a subgroup with an element of G. If H and K are not subgroups of G, then we cannot use this concept and the equality does not hold.

4. Can [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] be true if G is an infinite group?

No, this equality only holds for finite groups. For infinite groups, the index [G:H] and [G:K] are not well-defined, as there can be an infinite number of cosets. Therefore, the concept of [G:H]=[G:K][K:H] does not apply to infinite groups.

5. Does the order of H and K affect the equality [G:H]=[G:K][K:H]?

Yes, the order of H and K does not affect the equality [G:H]=[G:K][K:H]. This is because the index [G:H] and [G:K] are defined based on the number of cosets of H and K in G, respectively. The order of H and K does not change the number of cosets, therefore the equality still holds true regardless of the order of H and K.