1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal subgroup with prime index

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if p is a prime and G is a group of order p^a for some a in Z+, then every subgroup of index p is normal in G.

2. Relevant equations
    We know the order of H is p^(a-1). H is a maximal subgroup, if that matters.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose H≤G and (G:H)=p but H is not a normal subgroup of G. So for some g in G Hg≠gH. I know I didn't do much, but is this the correct way to start? What to do now?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know any general theorems about normalizers in p-groups?

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    I am not sure about which theorem you are talking about, but I just found a theorem giving me the result I want in Dummit and Foote stating that if n is the order of the group and p the largest prime dividing n, then I have the result I wanted.

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The theorem I was talking about is that "normalizers grow" in p-groups. This means that if G is a p-group and H < G is a proper subgroup, then [itex]H < N_G(H)[/itex], i.e. H is a proper subgroup of its normalizer. (This is in fact true if G is any finite nilpotent group.)

Therefore if H < G and H has index p, [itex]N_G(H)[/itex] must be all of G.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook