Index of Intersection of Subgroups with Finite Index

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Suppose that ##H## and ##K## are subgroups of finite index in the (possibly infinite) group ##G## with ##|G : H|m## and ##|G:K|=n##. Prove that ##lcm(m,n) \le |G : H \cap K | < mn##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I was able to get the upper bound on ##|G : H \cap K|##, but am having difficulty showing that the lower bound is ##lcm(m,n)##. I tried showing that ##m## and ##n## both divide ##|G : H \cap K |##, but I couldn't get anywhere. I could use some hints!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use the theorem of Lagrange to get ##|G : H \cap K|=|G : K| \cdot |K : H \cap K|## so ##n\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|## and similar ##m\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|##.
 
fresh_42 said:
I think you can use the theorem of Lagrange to get ##|G : H \cap K|=|G : K| \cdot |K : H \cap K|## so ##n\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|## and similar ##m\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|##.

Unfortunately, Lagrange's theorem only applies to finite groups.
 
Bashyboy said:
Unfortunately, Lagrange's theorem only applies to finite groups.
I haven't checked the proof, but on the Wiki page it has been first stated (## |G|=|G : H| \cdot |H| ##) and then appended "Especially for ##|G|<\infty \; \ldots ##" so I assumed that finiteness of ##G## isn't really required.