1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index of Intersection of Subgroups with Finite Index

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##H## and ##K## are subgroups of finite index in the (possibly infinite) group ##G## with ##|G : H|m## and ##|G:K|=n##. Prove that ##lcm(m,n) \le |G : H \cap K | < mn##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to get the upper bound on ##|G : H \cap K|##, but am having difficulty showing that the lower bound is ##lcm(m,n)##. I tried showing that ##m## and ##n## both divide ##|G : H \cap K |##, but I couldn't get anywhere. I could use some hints!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think you can use the theorem of Lagrange to get ##|G : H \cap K|=|G : K| \cdot |K : H \cap K|## so ##n\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|## and similar ##m\,\vert \,|G : H \cap K|##.

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    Unfortunately, Lagrange's theorem only applies to finite groups.

5. Jan 27, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I haven't checked the proof, but on the Wiki page it has been first stated (## |G|=|G : H| \cdot |H| ##) and then appended "Especially for ##|G|<\infty \; \ldots ##" so I assumed that finiteness of ##G## isn't really required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted