Subsequencial limit set of a product sequence SiTi

In summary, the conclusion is that if s_i (denotes the sub-subsequence...) ->a. a=0 is a trivial case. If a!=0, then the corresponding t_i converges to b such that ab=x, since |a*t_i-ab|<=|a*t_i-s_i*t_i|+|s_i*t_i-x|<=t_i*|s_i-a|+|s_i*t_i-x|<=Me+e.
boombaby

Homework Statement

Let {si} and {ti} be bounded sequences of real numbers, let E, F, G be the sets of all subsequential limit points of {si}, {ti}, {siti} respectively. Prove that [tex]G\subseteq EF= \left\ ef|e\in E,f\in F \right\[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have trouble understanding the behavior of the sequence siti. For this question, it seems that the right thing to do is to choose any x in G, show that x is in EF. Here's what I've done:
There is a subsequence [tex]s_{\alpha _{i}}t_{\alpha_{i}}[/tex] that converges to x. Now, consider the sequences [tex]{s_{\alpha _{i}}}[/tex] and [tex]{t_{\alpha _{i}}}[/tex]. Being a sequence in the compact set (i.e. [-M,M] in R), some subsequence of [tex]{s_{\alpha _{i}}}[/tex] converges to a point a, let A be the set of these subscripts. And some subsequence of [tex]{t_{\alpha _{i}}}[/tex] converges to a point b, Let B be the set of these subscripts.
If [tex]A\cap B[/tex] has infinitely many elements, then [tex]x=ab\in EF[/tex]. But what if [tex]A\cap B[/tex] is empty? I've no idea why this cannot happen. Any hint would be greatly appreciated! Is there any different way to prove it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't work with both sequences at the same time.

[tex]s_{a_i}t_{a_i}[/tex] converges to x. Then [tex]s_{a_i}[/tex] has a convergent subsequence [tex]s_{a_{i_j}}[/tex]. What does the sub-subsequence [tex]t_{a_{i_j}}[/tex] do? Remember, you know [tex]s_{a_{i_j}}t_{a_{i_j}}[/tex] converges to x also

yea, I think I get it now.
if s_i (denotes the sub-subsequence...) ->a. a=0 is a trivial case. If a!=0, then the corresponding t_i converges to b such that ab=x, since
|a*t_i-ab|<=|a*t_i-s_i*t_i|+|s_i*t_i-x|<=t_i*|s_i-a|+|s_i*t_i-x|<=Me+e
Thanks a lot!

1. What is a subsequential limit set of a product sequence?

A subsequential limit set of a product sequence SiTi is the set of all values that the product sequence can approach as the index of the sequence goes to infinity. It is composed of all the possible limits of subsequences of the original product sequence.

2. How is a subsequential limit set different from a limit set?

A limit set is the set of all possible limits of a sequence, while a subsequential limit set is the set of all possible limits of subsequences of the original sequence. In other words, the subsequential limit set is a subset of the limit set.

3. Can a product sequence have more than one subsequential limit set?

Yes, a product sequence can have multiple subsequential limit sets. This occurs when there are different subsequences of the original sequence that converge to different limit values.

4. How can the subsequential limit set of a product sequence be computed?

The subsequential limit set of a product sequence can be computed by finding all possible subsequences of the original sequence and calculating the limit of each subsequence. The resulting set of limit values is the subsequential limit set.

5. What is the significance of the subsequential limit set in mathematical analysis?

The subsequential limit set is important in determining the behavior and convergence of a product sequence. It provides a more detailed understanding of the possible limit values that the sequence can approach, and can help in proving the existence of a limit or lack thereof.