1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace of a Vector Space over Complex Numbers Proof.

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V = C (complex numbers). Prove that the only C-subspaces of V are V itself and {0}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well this problem has me confused since I have clearly found a complex subspace for example all the complex numbers of the form

{a+ib : a=b}

are closed under addition and scalar multiplication, hence it is a subspace. So if I've found another subspace in the complex numbers how can its only subspace be itself and the empty set?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    I would assume that "C-subspace" is supposed to mean that the multiplication with a scalar in this case means multiplication with a complex number. None of the elements in your suggested subspace (except zero) map back on it when multiplied by i, for example.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    I see, that would make sense. And yes a complex number can be represented by R(cos(x) + i*sin(x)) but how will that allow me to prove that there are no other subspaces? I'm familiar with proving whether something is a subspace, but haven't done any where I'm to show that there cannot be any more subspaces.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

a+ ai is NOT a subspace of the complex numbers, as a vector space over the complex numbers since it is not closed under scalar multiplication. (x+ iy)(a+ ai)= (ax-ay)+ (ax+ ay)i and [itex]ax- ay\ne ax+ ay[/itex].

What is a basis for the complex numbers as a vector space over the complex numbers? What is its dimension?

Remember that if V has dimension n, all subspaces must have dimension between 0 and n.

("a+ ai" is a subspace of the complex numbers as a vector space over the real numbers. What is the dimension of the complex numbers as a vector space over the real numbers?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook