Subspaces, R^n How to visualize?

• Thread starter bobby13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding vectors in R^n and asks for recommendations for online tutorials. The expert advises not to visualize R^n and explains that it is simply the set of n-tuples of numbers. They also provide guidance on determining if a given set is a subspace and encourage the individual to continue practicing and trying examples in order to better understand the material.
bobby13
Hey,

I have no problems dealing with vectors in space, R^3. But I am having a lot of trouble with vectors in R^n. One of my basic questions is what is R^n. I mean doesn't the vector space already encompass everything? How do I visualize R^n vectors? Can you reccomend any good online tutorials that explain how to approach problems in the subspace units?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't visualize it. Period. These are not spaces that have any physically visible manifestation really, so don't bother - it is unnecssary to do so, and unhelpful in the long run if you only attempt mathematics that is 'visualizable'.

R^n is just the set of n-tuples of numbers, and that is all you need.

matt grime said:
Don't visualize it. Period. These are not spaces that have any physically visible manifestation really, so don't bother - it is unnecssary to do so, and unhelpful in the long run if you only attempt mathematics that is 'visualizable'.

R^n is just the set of n-tuples of numbers, and that is all you need.

I can't even visualize R^3 half the time. :grumpy:

Look at the bright side of R^n, you'll never be asked to draw a graph.

I dunno, I've seen people draw diagrams in much uglier spaces than than R^4. That's where the real fun begins. :smile:

Thnx! I think I am starting to get the hang of this stuff, after constantly and constantly reading over notes and trying examples. Quick question. In one example it says,

Let U = { X in R^n | AX = 0 (Zero Vector)}
Is U a subspace?

Am I correct in reading the question as, X is in R^n if and only if AX = 0. That is, when checking all three conditions, I should get the zero vector?

bobby13 said:
Thnx! I think I am starting to get the hang of this stuff, after constantly and constantly reading over notes and trying examples. Quick question. In one example it says,
Is U a subspace?
Am I correct in reading the question as, X is in R^n if and only if AX = 0. That is, when checking all three conditions, I should get the zero vector?
It is the definition of a set U. It says X is in U iff X is a vector in R^n such that AX=0. Now you have to determine whether U satisfies the axioms of a vector space.

bobby13 said:
Thnx! I think I am starting to get the hang of this stuff, after constantly and constantly reading over notes and trying examples. Quick question

that is how we all learned mathematics.

In one example it says,
Is U a subspace?
Am I correct in reading the question as, X is in R^n if and only if AX = 0.

not quite, you should read it as X is in U if AX=0, where A is some fixed matrix, or that U is the subset of vectors x in R^n such that Ax=0. You need to show that U satisfies the axioms of a subspace, ie 0 is in U, and if x and y are in U that x+y is in U, and that if x is in U and t is a real number that tx is in U.

That is, when checking all three conditions, I should get the zero vector?

no, that doesn't follow at all

bobby13 said:
Is U a subspace?

Are you talking about the all the homogeneous solutions for the matrix A?

If that is the case, why not try yourself and see if it is a subspace. All you need to do is check if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

In order words, show that if x,y is in U, then x+y is in U, and if k is any scalar, then kx is in U.

Note: If it has only one solution for the homegeneous system, then we know it is the trivial solution. The trivial solution is the zero vector itself, which creates a subspace all on it's own.

Last edited:

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the same properties as the vector space it is a part of. This means that it must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contain the zero vector.

2. How do you visualize a subspace?

A subspace can be visualized as a plane, line, or point in a larger vector space. This can be done using a graph or by drawing the subspace on a coordinate plane.

3. What is R^n?

R^n refers to the n-dimensional Euclidean space, where n represents the number of dimensions. This means that R^n is a vector space with n dimensions, where each dimension can take on any real value.

4. How do you visualize R^n?

R^n can be visualized as a coordinate plane with n axes, where each axis represents one of the dimensions. Each point on the plane represents a vector with n components, with each component corresponding to a value on each axis.

5. Can you give an example of a subspace in R^n?

One example of a subspace in R^3 is the x-y plane. This subspace contains all vectors of the form (x,y,0), where x and y can take on any real value. It is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector (0,0,0).