Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substituting for the entire integrand

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I found something surprising (at least to me) while looking at the following integral:
    [tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{e^x-1}{e^x+1}} dx[/tex]
    Wolfram Alpha suggests the following substitution as the first step:
    [tex]u = \frac{1}{e^x+1}[/tex]
    Which leads to the following integral:
    [tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{1-2u}}{(u-1)u} du[/tex]
    The next substitution is:
    [tex]s = \sqrt{1-2u}[/tex]
    From there, the solution is just a partial fraction decomposition away. Thinking that one should be able to do both substitutions in one step, I plugged [itex]u[/itex] into [itex]s[/itex] and got:
    [tex]s = \sqrt{1-\frac{2}{e^x+1}} = \sqrt{\frac{e^x-1}{e^x+1}}[/tex]
    So, this is the original integrand that was substituted here! I don't remember having learned this technique. Does this approach of substituting the whole integrand have a name?

Thank you!

Best regards,
    David

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

This is just another change of variables. It was done in two steps just to reduce the complexity of calculations.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    I understand this - maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    What surprises me here is that, using those substitutions, we effectively substituted for the entire original integrand.
    I don't remember having seen such a thing before, and I am wondering whether this is common and in which cases it works.

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any time you make a substitution, u= u(x), you have to also substitute for the derivative, dx. Here, with [itex]u= \left(\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}\right)[/itex] we have [itex]u'= \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}\right)^{-1/2}\left(\frac{e^u- 1}{e^u+ 1}\right)dx= \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}\right)^{1/2} dx[/itex] so that [itex]2du= \left(\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}\right)^{1/2} dx[/itex], what you are referring to as "substituting for the entire integral".

That is, basically, a result of the fact that [itex]e^x[/itex] is its own derivative. A much simpler example would be [itex]\int e^x dx[/itex]. Making the substitution [itex]u= e^x[/itex] which give [itex]e^x dx= du[/itex] and the integral becomes [itex]\int du[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Jul 9, 2015 #5
    Thank you! It is clear to me now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook