1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subtracting integers with powers

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, sorry about this. Its really obvious, i think there's just some really simple way to do it. Its annoying me, my teacher couldnt do it either!

Evaluate 6667²-3333² (without a calculator)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know there is just some really obvious way to do it. It was only worth 2 marks. Checking the answer on a calculator it was 33340000 and 6667-3333=3334 so i wasnt sure if that was how you did it, found the answer to the integers minus each other and add zeros. But i tried other examples and it didnt hold true.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At some point in class, you should have covered what the difference of two squares is. Just to remind you, it looks something like this:
    [tex]a^2-b^2=(a+b)*(a-b)[/tex]

I hope that helps.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You in general can also try to factorize the terms and calculate and simplify that way; but in the example you gave, knowing the difference of two squares is more efficient as in post #2.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    Awesome, cheers guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?