Successive Approximation ADC Question

In summary, a 12-bit successive-approximation type ADC with a 1 volt full range input requires a minimum input change of 2.442x10^-4 volts to give a one bit change in output. Additionally, the number of approximations made to complete the conversion of an input signal of 0.8125 volts is 12, resulting in a final binary result of 11 00 11 11 11 11.
cjm181

Homework Statement

.[/B]

The full range input of a12-bit, successive-approximation type ADC is 1 volt. Determine:

1. a) the maximum input change required to give a one bit change in output of the ADC
    2. b) The number of approximations made to complete the conversion of an input signal of 0.8125 V and the final binary result of the conversion process.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Vres = Vref / ((2^n)-1) = 1 / ((2^12)-1) = 2.442x10^-4

b) Going to type this backwards!

0 to 1v input range, output range 0 to 4095 hex for a 12 bit system. So, to find the hex value for an input of 0.8125v:

4095 * 0.8125 = 3327.188 or 3327. So convert this to binary gives an output of 11 00 11 11 11 11.

So the number of approximations made! the bit i am struggling with!

As 3327 was not reached until all 12 bits had run thru the system, does this mean 12 approximations were made?

Say the hex input was 2048 (10 00 00 00 00 00), would the number of approximations be 1?

Thanks
Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
bit strange they ask for the maximum change. what if v went from 0 to 0.5 volt; would that count as a one bit change in output ?

BvU said:
what if v went from 0 to 0.5 volt; would that count as a one bit change in output ?
It means the digital output is 011111111111 (or 2047 decimal). That's a lot of change in output!
BvU said:
bit strange they ask for the maximum change
I think it should be minimum change..

sorry, i went thru part a, it is the minimum change. had that confirmed from uni. its poorly written part a.

Any thoughts on b?

kr
craig

cjm181 said:

Homework Statement

.[/B]

The full range input of a12-bit, successive-approximation type ADC is 1 volt. Determine:
    1. a) the maximum input change required to give a one bit change in output of the ADC
    2. b) The number of approximations made to complete the conversion of an input signal of 0.8125 V and the final binary result of the conversion process.
0 to 1v input range, output range 0 to 4095 hex
for a 12 bit system.
not hex!
So, to find the hex value for an input of 0.8125v:

4095 * 0.8125 = 3327.188 or 3327. So convert this to binary gives an output of 11 00 11 11 11 11.
about right (+/-1, I don't know)
So the number of approximations made! the bit i am struggling with!
Me too! The converter makes 12 comparisons no matter what the voltage being converted.

Thats what i thought! unless once it hits the figure does it consider all other numbers to the left 0?

cjm181 said:
Thats what i thought! unless once it hits the figure does it consider all other numbers to the left 0?
Even if all the LSB's below 0.8125V are zeros the converter still has to go thru the motion to determine that fact. It always has to do 12 comparisons.

cjm181 said:
It starts at the left (most significant) bit, and works downward in value (to least significant).

Begin with high-order bit.
When considering a bit:
SET the bit.
IF the approximation is less than the input THEN NEXT bit
ELSE bit is reset.
NEXT bit

I don't know what i am writing about hex for? brain fade!

replace my use of the word hex with decimals!

So is 11 00 11 11 11 11 correct for an input of 0.815V?

As said above, i am saying 12bit successive approximation ADC uses 12 approximations

cjm181 said:
So is 11 00 11 11 11 11 correct for an input of 0.815V?
My calculator agrees with that answer.

nice! thanks everyone!

What is a Successive Approximation ADC?

A Successive Approximation ADC is a type of analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that works by comparing a digital representation of an input analog signal to the actual analog signal. It iteratively approximates the digital code that most closely matches the input signal, resulting in a digital output value.

How does a Successive Approximation ADC work?

A Successive Approximation ADC works by using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) to create a known voltage reference. The input voltage is then compared to the reference voltage and the result is converted to a digital code. This code is then fed back to the input of the DAC, which adjusts the reference voltage until it matches the input voltage. This process is repeated until the digital code is an accurate representation of the input signal.

What are the advantages of using a Successive Approximation ADC?

One advantage of a Successive Approximation ADC is its high speed and accuracy. It is also relatively simple and cost-effective to implement. Additionally, it has a high resolution and can handle a wide range of input signal frequencies.

What are the limitations of a Successive Approximation ADC?

One limitation of a Successive Approximation ADC is its susceptibility to noise. As the input signal is being compared to a reference voltage, any noise in the system can affect the accuracy of the conversion. It also requires a stable and precise reference voltage to achieve accurate results.

How does a Successive Approximation ADC compare to other types of ADCs?

A Successive Approximation ADC offers a good balance of speed, accuracy, and cost compared to other types of ADCs. It is faster than a Delta-Sigma ADC and has a higher resolution than a Flash ADC. However, it may not be as accurate as a Dual Slope ADC or as fast as a Pipeline ADC.