Suggestion: Electrical engineering

In summary, the conversation is discussing book recommendations for various areas of electrical engineering, such as analog circuits, RF circuits, microelectronics, power electronics, and signals and systems. Despite the request for a short and concise book, the experts agree that these subjects are complex and require more comprehensive texts. Suggestions for books include "Modern Control Engineering" by Ogata and "Art of Electronics" by Horowitz.
6eecs
Does anyone have a good suggestion for books in Electrical engineering, specifically:

- Analog Circuits Design and Analysis
- RF circuits
- Microelectronics and Device physics
- Power Electronics
- Signals and Systems; Feedback and control theory for Electrical Engineering.

Something short and to the point would be very appreciated (I don't have much time)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are short on time, but want a good book to read about very complex and rich aspects of EE? Those aren't particularly compatible. Perhaps you could define "short and to the point" ?

fss said:
You are short on time, but want a good book to read about very complex and rich aspects of EE? Those aren't particularly compatible. Perhaps you could define "short and to the point" ?

Agree.

I could recommend a number of books in those areas, but none would fit my definition of short and to the point. Those subjects are complex enough that even a book that gets to the point via some minimization constraints, will still not be short. Or, if it did, it would be short and to-the-point and incomprehensible to anyone who is not already an expert.

Well, enough yapping ... one suggestion for Systems and Control theory (which is not short, at just under 1000 pages) is "Modern Control Engineering" by Ogata. If such lengths are short enough, I can recommend other books.

Art of Electronics by Horowitz is good, very all-encompassing with regards to EE topics but not sure it goes into sufficient deph on anyone area like a textbook would.

clope023 said:
Art of Electronics by Horowitz is good, very all-encompassing with regards to EE topics but not sure it goes into sufficient deph on anyone area like a textbook would.

I second that one. I intended to mention that along with others, if the OP gave us more guidance on what "short and to the point" means. That one is over 1100 pages.

Last edited:

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of science that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems and devices, such as power generation and distribution systems, communication systems, and electronic circuits.

2. What are the subfields of electrical engineering?

Some of the subfields of electrical engineering include power systems, control systems, electronics, telecommunications, and computer engineering. Each subfield focuses on different aspects of electrical engineering, such as the generation and distribution of power, the control and automation of systems, and the design of electronic devices.

3. What skills are required to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and familiarity with industry-standard software and tools are important for success in the field.

4. What career opportunities are available in electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, and aerospace. Some common job titles in this field include electrical engineer, power systems engineer, electronics engineer, and control systems engineer.

5. How does electrical engineering contribute to society?

Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in modern society by providing power and communication systems that are essential for daily life. It also contributes to advancements in technology, such as the development of renewable energy sources and the design of electronic devices that improve our quality of life.