Suggestions for 9V Audio Chip for Portable Radio/Boom Box

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tesladude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Audio Suggestions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Tesladude
Messages
168
Reaction score
1
Hey guys,I am sure I am going to get some of the same guys on my last thread so, hey!
I love the 20watt audio circuit with the lm1875 and will eventually pcb it for sure!
This is another audio questions, but not like last time.

So I want to make a small portable radio/boom box. I mean to emphasize "small."
I am going to add in an FM circuit with the tda7000 which I have had luck in the past with when I made an fm radio with speaker & headphone jack inside an Altoids can.
So for the amp I want a "relatively" high output. But not because I want it lound but because if I run a powerful amp not too loudely I can get great quallity.
So are there any amps you guys recemend that will work at 9v putting out maybe 5-10 watts?
I am going to do it all stereo and I don't mind doubling up on a mono chip to do so.
I have been looking at the tda2003, what do you guys think? 9v is running a bit close to minimum vcc but I saw that it was done successfully.
I thought the tea2025 would be perfect but that darn thing isn't working!
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been using the TPA3118 for some personal projects that sound somewhat similar to yours. Its a great sounding amp and TI has eval boards and gerbers available for these chips.

Looks like the TPA3130 might have the specs you're looking for http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3118d2.pdf

Assuming you're open to using Class D amps of course
 
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not really looking for a HI-Fi surface mount class D amp though, This whole thing is going to be a small probably all analog radio, I'm still in the planning area though.

Also, I want to have adjustable bass and treble, I know it is better quality if you do this before the amp, but this is what I was thinking:

(focusing on only one side for now) I am going to have a 2-way crossover going to a small speaker for the highs, and a larger "mini woofer" for the lows,these speakers are in parallel. I had the idea of useing 2 potenciometers one in seriece with each speaker. so then if my crossover is set to 1000hz then I can adjust everything above and bellow 1khz separately.

I tried on my breadboard and it worked fairly, although I don't have the correct pots. Is there a better way of doing this?