1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Suggestions for GAP year employment

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    Hi all,
    I am currently taking a year off after graduating with my bachelors in physics. Hence I have a year to either work (really need to make money) or travel. I have a feeling that if I applied to a full-time job and left after a year, it would be a form of betrayal. Is it wise to sign up for a full time job and just leave after a year? Is this common? Preferably, I will like to find a job related to physics but this seems quite difficult. Any suggestions about what I should do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you can commit to a year of employment. It's quite common for people in entry-level positions to move on when better opportunities arise.

Be up front about it. I don't think there is any point in broadcasting the point on your resume, but when you are interviewing or negotiating tell them that you are interested in pursuing graduate studies at some time but that you're willing to commit at least a year to the position. You might also want to look for contract work.

Yes it would be great to get something physics-related, but failing that, it might help to aim to maximize the amount that you earn so you can build up a cushion for your graduate school years.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3

DrSteve

Gold Member

A gap year is usually taken to expand your knowledge of the world or gain insight/experience into what you want to pursue in grad school. Regarding the latter, during a gap year many physics graduates continue to working for the professor they worked for as a senior.

There are no hard and fast rules, however, other than avoiding burning bridges with anyone, including your short term employer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted