Suggestions for graph analysis

In summary, when n is an odd number, the graph has two lines that are diagonal. When n is even, the graph only has one line.
Boogieface

Homework Statement

fn(x) = x^-n is the given formula.
for parameter values n>0 on the domain x>0.
I am asked to substitute 4 different values of the parameter n, when n>1 and 0<n<1 and then explain how n changes the shape of the graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have substituted 0.5, 0.95, 2 and 10 into n but the problem is trying an odd number would give me a different shape of graph unlike 2's and 10's. So, I don't know ideally what number is the best to explain their properties. My explanation for the graphs seem very simple because I could only see when n increases(n>1) the graph goes steeper and steeper. I have also found the vertical asymptote is undefined and the horizontal asymptote is indefinite.
What more could I add to explain the differences / similarities?

Physics news on Phys.org
What difference do you see in the graph if n is odd? I don't think there are many differences for x>0 there.

Your graph analysis is ok, the graph goes steeper and steeper as n gets larger. But you could also mention what happens if n goes to 0. What happens to the graph if n is very close to 0?

micromass said:
What difference do you see in the graph if n is odd? I don't think there are many differences for x>0 there.

Your graph analysis is ok, the graph goes steeper and steeper as n gets larger. But you could also mention what happens if n goes to 0. What happens to the graph if n is very close to 0?
the difference is just how it is drawn when n is odd, like if you put n = 3 the graph, two lines are drawn and they are diagonal ( I don't know if diagonal is the right word to describe ). If you put n = 2, you end up the graph with one line. that's what I was trying to say. Well, if n goes to 0, the I could only conclude y is equal to 1. if n is very close to 0, i guess the line will become a straighter and straighter line
Thank you for your suggestions

1. What is graph analysis and why is it important?

Graph analysis is a method of data analysis that involves visualizing and interpreting data in the form of graphs or charts. It is important because it allows scientists to quickly identify patterns and trends in large datasets, which can provide valuable insights and inform decision-making.

2. What are some common types of graphs used in analysis?

Common types of graphs used in analysis include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. Each type has its own unique purpose and can be used to display different types of data.

3. How do I choose the best graph for my data?

The best graph for your data depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your analysis. For example, if you want to compare values over time, a line graph may be the best option. It is important to consider the message you want to convey and choose a graph that effectively communicates that message.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs for analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs for analysis include using the wrong type of graph for the data, not labeling axes or providing a title, and manipulating the scale to exaggerate or downplay differences. It is important to accurately represent the data and avoid misleading or biased visuals.

5. How can I use graph analysis to draw conclusions and make recommendations?

Graph analysis can help scientists draw conclusions and make recommendations by providing a visual representation of data that can reveal patterns and relationships. By analyzing the graph, scientists can identify trends and make informed decisions or recommendations based on the data. Additionally, graphs can be used to communicate findings to others in a clear and concise manner.