1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of an infinite series(not quite geometric)

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the sum of the series:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{infinity}_{K=10}[/tex] [tex]\frac{7}{e^(3k+2)}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

limit n->infinity of sn=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{K=10}[/tex] [tex]\frac{7}{e^(3k+2)}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{7}{e^(32)}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{7}{e^(35)}[/tex]....[tex]\frac{7}{e^(3n+2)}[/tex]

This series does not exactly fit a geometric series or any partial fraction I can reduce. After this point I am stuck, any hints are greatly welcome.

My alternative method I attempted was to try to re-write it in such a way it was geometric., where f=1 is when k=10
    that is that [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{infinity}_{K=10}[/tex] [tex]\frac{7}{e^(3k+2)}[/tex]= [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{infinity}_{f=1}[/tex][tex]\frac{7}{e^(32)}[/tex]*([tex]\frac{1}{e^(3)}[/tex])^(f-1) which when simplfied I got = [tex]\frac{7}{e^(31)-1}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    rewriting it as a geometric series makes sense but how did 3k+2 become 32?

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you investigated the consequences of [tex]e^{3k+2} = e^{2}(e^3)^k[/tex]?

P.S. You want to write [ t e x ] \sum_{k=10}^{\infty} [ \ t e x ]

and

[ t e x ] e^{3k+2} [ t e x ]

for it to come out correctly.

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

quasar987's point is that this is not "not quite" but exactly a geometric series. There is a standard formula for the sum of a geometric series.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    My rational in the re-write was to write it in such a way that the terms of the sequence would be identical, in the orignal form we obtain 7/e^32+7/e^35 ect.. which was the only method of solution that I could see that had a chance of working. I tested each k value against f values at f=1 against k=10, they produce identical terms for every valid k the only difference being the new series starts at 1 rather than 10 but the way I see it we are summing an infinite amount of terms,I was curious if this was mathematically valid.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm more of a mathematician really), and I'm not all that familiar with your notation, but it is a convergent geometric progression.

It can be rearranged as sum to infinity of 7e^-2 * (e^-3)^k

which is a geometric progression with the first term (a) of 7e^-32

and increases by a factor (r) of e^-3

Using the geometric progression formula of summation of series i.e. sum=a/(1-r)

sum= (7e^-32)/(1-e^-3)

Isn't it?

8. Aug 7, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would being "more of a mathematician" imply that you would be wrong about a math problem?:biggrin:

9. Aug 7, 2008 #8
    In itself, it wouldn't. But, as I mentioned before I haven't used notation quite like that, so my interpretation could be wrong. (I assumed that the notation was specific to physics)

10. Aug 8, 2008 #9

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

That's intended to be the staged exponential [tex](e^3)^{2}[/tex] . One of the things TeX doesn't seem to do is double exponents. The intent of the expression is clear, if the notation may not be...

11. Aug 8, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it really is e^32. It's e^(3k+2) and the sum starts at k=10. That's e^(thirty two).

12. Aug 9, 2008 #11

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Oops, right: I misled myself in reading some of the other posts...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?