Forces Around a Cone-Shaped Object

• Thread starter Gh778
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the force between a ball and the cone acts perpendicular to the surface of the cone. So although the surface of the cone is larger than the flat end the horizontal component is the same.It's possible that fewer balls might touch the cone side compared to the flat side - but there is no reason why the force applied by each ball has to be the same.The force between a ball and the cone acts perpendicular to the surface of the cone. So although the surface of the cone is larger than the flat end the horizontal component is the same.It's possible that fewer balls might touch the cone side compared to the flat side - but there is no reason why the force applied by each ball has to be the same.The
Gh778
I'm drawing a cone (black color) inside balls. Balls are pressured from external force, but the pressure is fixed. Balls repuls themselves and cone repuls balls too. The cut view of cone (bot) showing part of balls all around cone, arrows are forces all around balls. For me F1>F2, because like balls are around cone they repuls themselves more than the left side. How can I draw correctly the forces for have 0 ?

Attachments

• dft.png
    dft.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
If there was a net force the object would propel itself along, moving through the sea of balls without needing fuel. It's not going to happen.

The force between a ball and the cone acts perpendicular to the surface of the cone. So although the surface of the cone is larger than the flat end the horizontal component is the same.

Attachments

• cone.png
    cone.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Sure, it's not moving alone in water :approve: I'm ok with the difference of surface too. I show balls like a circular dam that prevent force to apply on cone's surface, like a protective shield (drawing). When cone is moving, balls move closer from each other for "build" a "circle" (following the surface) so the external force can apply all the force ?

In the drawing, I don't draw all balls, I sould but maybe there is a simple explanation.

Attachments

• dft1.png
    dft1.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Sorry. I don't understand what you are asking.

The last view is a cutting view (a slice of cone). The cone in the center must receive force from balls. Imagine balls which repuls themselves and cone repuls balls. For receive the pressure balls will be like the last view, but like the shape of balls is a circle all the pressure can be apply ? If I apply a pressure on a sphere, the object inside can't receive the pressure (without detroy sphere).

So is this the situation? The balls are packed together tightly so they cannot apply pressure on the cone in the middle?

I think that's unlikely to occur. The balls will rearrange themselves in 3D. I have no idea how to model that.

It's possible that fewer balls might touch the cone side compared to the flat side - but there is no reason why the force applied by each ball has to be the same.

Attachments

• Packed.png
    Packed.png
    3 KB · Views: 434
Yes, this is the situation, but balls are not necessary in contact with cone and with others balls if repulsive force is big compared to the "pressure". I'm trying to simulate with Comsol and say how are balls in 3D.

Last edited:
While awaiting the good model for Comsol, I'm thinking with a static problem that it's easier to find my error. Put a cone in a container with a lot of compressible balls. Gravity is like drawing. Choose diameter of balls for have an integer nomber of balls in each layer, like that it's more easy for have sum of forces, fig2. For me the force F2 that come from others balls in circular shape (fig3) change the sum of force for each ball (in contact with cone) and give a up force. Each layer of balls can be separate with a sheet, like that the study is only one layer. The problem exist only with the ball in contact with cone, for others balls I agree sum of forces is 0 (apart weight). Maybe if container is a cone too, it's easier for have sum of forces ?

where I'm wrong ?

Attachments

• cgm1.png
    cgm1.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 434
  • cgm2.png
    cgm2.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 432
  • cgm3.png
    cgm3.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
I understood my error, due to the circular shape of balls: balls want to move up and the cone want to move down. Sum of force is zero. But, in this case if density of cone is the same density than balls, this system don't respect Archimède's principle ? The shape change the Archimède's principle ?

1. What is the force acting on a cone-shaped object?

The force acting on a cone-shaped object is known as the weight or gravitational force, which is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the slope of a cone affect the forces acting on it?

The slope of a cone can affect the forces acting on it by changing the distribution of weight. A steeper slope will result in a greater weight component perpendicular to the surface, while a shallower slope will have a smaller weight component.

3. What is the relationship between the weight and the normal force on a cone-shaped object?

The normal force on a cone-shaped object is equal and opposite to the weight component perpendicular to the surface. This means that as the weight increases, the normal force also increases to balance it out.

4. How do forces around a cone-shaped object affect its stability?

The forces acting on a cone-shaped object can affect its stability by creating a torque, or rotational force, which can cause the object to tip over. This is why the base of a cone-shaped object should be wide enough to support its weight and prevent it from toppling.

5. Can the forces around a cone-shaped object change if the object is in motion?

Yes, the forces around a cone-shaped object can change if the object is in motion. For example, as the object moves, the normal force and weight components may change in magnitude and direction, affecting the overall forces acting on the object.