Sum of ordinates mean value of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mean values of functions and their relation to integrals. The main confusion arises from the use of the term "sum of ordinates" to describe the mean value, which is clarified by considering the concept of "mean mass per unit length" and understanding the integral as the total mass of an interval. The link provided by the speaker offers a clearer explanation of the concept.
Appleton
I am having trouble deciphering the opening gambit of an explanation of mean values of functions. It begins as follows:

"Consider the part of the curve y = f(x) for values of x in the range a ≤ x ≤ b."

A graph is shown with a curve cutting the x-axis at c with a shaded positive area bounded by the curve and the line x=a to the left of c and a shaded negative area bounded by the curve and the line x = b to the right of c.

"The mean value of y in this range is the average value of y for that part of the curve.
The sum of the ordinates (ie values of y) between x= a and x = c occupies the shaded area above the x-axis and is positive.
This area is ∫acy dx
Hence the sum of the ordinates between x = a and x= c is ∫acy dx"

I understand that an ordinate is the value of y. But are the ordinates taken at integer values of x or continuous values of x. I don't see how the sum of ordinates is equal to the value of the area under the curve. I must have misunderstood the definition of the sum of the ordinates.
I can see how the sum of the continuous ordinates multiplied by change in x as change in x goes to 0 might equal the area under the curve.

Sorry if my terminology and description of the graph leave a lot to be desired.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's indeed meaningless to speak of the sum of all the y coordinates of the graph of a function that is defined on interval of real numbers. unless you define "sum" to be something besides an ordinary arithmetic sum.

To argue the relation between an integral and a mean value in a better way, consider that "mean mass per unit length" is defined by a relation such as (total length of interval )(mean mass per unit length) = total mass

Think of a f(x) as being "mass density" Then you just need to understand why the integral of a mass density over an interval is the total mass of the interval.

You book could have said "Think of [itex] f(x) [/itex] as being a density of something. Then [itex] \int_a^b f(x) dx [/itex] is the total something in the interval [itex] [a,b] [/itex] and [itex] \frac{ \int_a^b f(x) dx}{ [b-a]} [/itex] is the mean something per unit length = the mean density.

1. What is the sum of ordinates mean value of functions?

The sum of ordinates mean value of functions is a mathematical concept used to find the average value of a function over a specific interval. It is calculated by dividing the sum of all the ordinates (y-values) of a function by the total number of ordinates in the interval.

2. How is the sum of ordinates mean value of functions different from the regular mean value?

The regular mean value of a function is calculated by finding the average of all the y-values of a function over a specific interval. The sum of ordinates mean value, on the other hand, takes into account the number of ordinates in the interval, making it a more accurate representation of the average value of the function.

3. Why is the sum of ordinates mean value of functions important?

The sum of ordinates mean value of functions is important because it allows us to find the average value of a function over a specific interval, which can be useful in various real-world applications. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions based on its average value.

4. How is the sum of ordinates mean value of functions used in calculus?

In calculus, the sum of ordinates mean value of functions is used to find the average rate of change of a function over a specific interval. This is helpful in determining the slope of a curve at a particular point and in solving optimization problems.

5. Can the sum of ordinates mean value of functions be negative?

Yes, the sum of ordinates mean value of functions can be negative. This can happen if the function has negative values over the given interval, which will result in a negative sum of ordinates. However, the negative value itself does not hold any specific meaning in terms of the function's behavior.