Sum of Ʃ 1.2476n^0.2476 from n=1 to 35

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Luke77
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the sum of Ʃ 1.2476n^.2476 from n=1 to 35.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


It isn't an arithmetic, geometric, or a p-series. I have tried using L'hopital's rule and using partial fractions. Where am I going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Luke77 said:

Homework Statement


What is the sum of Ʃ 1.2476n^.2476 from n=1 to 35.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


It isn't an arithmetic, geometric, or a p-series.
True enough.
Luke77 said:
I have tried using L'hopital's rule and using partial fractions. Where am I going wrong?
Why would you think that L'Hopital's rule or partial fractions are applicable here?

This is a finite series, so the problem boils down to adding 35 numbers, 1.2476 + 2.2476 + 3.2476 + ... + 35.2476, and then multiplying that sum by 1.2476.

Seems like kind of a pointless problem to me, unless there is some technique that can be used to simplify things. Nothing comes to mind, though.
 
Luke77 said:

Homework Statement


What is the sum of Ʃ 1.2476n^.2476 from n=1 to 35.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


It isn't an arithmetic, geometric, or a p-series. I have tried using L'hopital's rule and using partial fractions. Where am I going wrong?

I doubt that there is any nice closed-form expression for the sum. What is stopping you from evaluating the sum numerically (using a spreadsheet or a package such as Wolfram Alpha)?

RGV
 
Ray Vickson said:
I doubt that there is any nice closed-form expression for the sum. What is stopping you from evaluating the sum numerically (using a spreadsheet or a package such as Wolfram Alpha)?

RGV

I guess I was too lazy, and I really want to have all sum formulas at my access.