Sum of the angles in 4D coordinates system

In summary, the conversation discusses the sum of angles in different coordinate systems. In a 2D coordinate system, the sum of angles in all quadrants is 360 degrees. In a 3D coordinate system, the sum of angles in all possible planes is 1080 degrees. In a 4D coordinate system, the sum of angles in all possible planes is 2160 degrees. However, in Minkowski geometry, the solid "angle" of a hypersphere is infinite.
mars shaw
Case 1
In 2D coordinate system the sum of the angles of all quadrants=360
degree
in (x,y) plane
Case 2
In 3D coordinate system (x,y,z) I took 3 possible planes

i.e.
(x,y) (y,z) (x,z)
each plane provides angle of 360 degree, so can we say that in 3D coordinate system sum of all quadrants is 1080?
Because
(x,y) gives 360
(y,z) gives 360
(x,z) gives 360
so their sum is 1080 degree
Case 3
And in 4d spacetime the distance formula according to Minkowski formulation is
s^2=x^2+y^2+z^2-(ct)^2
Where c is speed of light and t is time and ct also has the dimension length
like other coordinates.
so can I deal it as a 4D coordinate system
(x,y,z,ct)
all possible planes are
(x,y) (y,z) (z,ct) (x,ct) (y,ct) (x,z)
so can we say,
sum of all quadrants in 4D coordinate system is 2160 degree?
Because each plane provides 360 degree
& there are 6 planes.
Three of them belong to 3D and 3 belong to space and time.
Can I deal these coordinates in this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of a circle is 2pi radians in 2D Euclidean geometry. The solid angle of a sphere is 4pi steradians in 3D Euclidean geometry. The "solid" angle of a hypersphere is 2pi² (hyperradians?) in 4D Euclidean geometry. I don't know about a hypersphere in Minkowski geometry.

Last edited:
A hypersphere in Minkowski geometry is going to be some higher-dimensional analogue of a hyperboloid; therefore its solid "angle" is infinite.

1. What is a 4D coordinate system?

A 4D coordinate system is a mathematical tool used to describe the location of points in a four-dimensional space. It uses four coordinates (x, y, z, and w) to specify the position of a point in this space.

2. How many angles are there in a 4D coordinate system?

There are six angles in a 4D coordinate system: three angles in the x-y plane, two angles in the x-w plane, and one angle in the y-w plane. These angles represent the orientation of a point in 4D space.

3. What is the sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system?

The sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system is 360 degrees. This is the same as in a 3D coordinate system, where the sum of angles is 180 degrees.

4. Can the sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system be greater than 360 degrees?

No, the sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system cannot be greater than 360 degrees. In fact, it is not possible to have a 4D shape with a total angle greater than 360 degrees.

5. Why is it important to understand the sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system?

Understanding the sum of angles in a 4D coordinate system is important for accurately describing and navigating within 4D space. It is also a fundamental concept in higher mathematics and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.