Summation/Sigma Notation

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem that involves using the formula for the sum of squares of the first n integers. The problem given in the conversation does not start at 1, so the solution involves expressing the given sum as the difference of two sums for which the formula is known. The person also asks for clarification on what is assumed to be known and whether it is covered in algebra textbooks. The response states that it is usually covered in algebra textbooks.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

What is happening from the green box to the blue box? I am completely lost as to what this example is trying to show. Would really appreciate some info on this, thanks.

Homework Equations

sigmanotation-1.jpg

Attachments

• sigmanotation.JPG
    sigmanotation.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 589
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem assumes you know the formula for the sum of squares of the first n integers. But the sum you are given isn't the over first n integers because it starts at 4. So the idea is to express the sum you want as the difference of two sums for which you know the formula.

How can I learn what this example assumes I already know? Is this covered in algebra textbooks?

LearninDaMath said:
How can I learn what this example assumes I already know? Is this covered in algebra textbooks?

Yes, usually.

What is summation/sigma notation?

Summation/sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and has an index below it, indicating the starting value of the series, and an upper limit above it, indicating the ending value of the series.

What is the purpose of using summation/sigma notation?

The purpose of using summation/sigma notation is to simplify and compactly represent a series of numbers or terms. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these series, making it a useful tool in mathematics and science.

How do you evaluate a summation/sigma notation?

To evaluate a summation/sigma notation, you need to substitute the values of the index into the expression and then perform the appropriate mathematical operations. The resulting value is the sum of the series.

What are some common uses of summation/sigma notation?

Summation/sigma notation is commonly used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent discrete sums, sequences, and series. It is also used in statistics to represent the summation of a sample population.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using summation/sigma notation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using summation/sigma notation include forgetting to include the starting and ending values of the series, using incorrect mathematical operations, and mistaking the index for the actual value of the series. It is important to carefully read and understand the notation before evaluating it.