1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Z notation and sigma

1. May 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the difference between this statement being expressed in z-notation and the notation shown? What are the benefits of the two and how do you do the conversion?
    Nevermind about answering the question itself.

if X ~N(mu,sigma) show that P(|X-mu|<= 0.675*sigma) = 0.5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The statement that$$
    P(|X-\mu|\le .675\sigma)=.5$$is completely equivalent to$$
    P\left(\frac{|X-\mu|}{\sigma}\le .675\right)=.5$$which is equivalent to$$
    P\left(-.675\le \frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}\le .675\right)=.5$$Is that what you are asking?

4. May 30, 2015 #3
    is that due to symmetry?

5. May 30, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is just algebra. To get the second statement you just divide both sides of the inequality by the positive ##\sigma## and the last form just uses properties of absolute values, specifically that ##|x|\le a## is the same thing as ##-a\le x \le a##.

6. May 31, 2015 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

The only normal distribution whose cdf and inverse cdf you will find tabulated is N(0,1). If [itex]X \sim N(\mu, \sigma^2)[/itex] then to use tables you have instead to work with [itex]Z = (X - \mu)/\sigma \sim N(0,1)[/itex].

7. Jun 1, 2015 #6
    what is function N()?

8. Jun 1, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is exactly the same N( ) that you yourself wrote in post #1. It is actually not a function, but, rather, a name (short for "Normal" or "Normal distribution").

9. Jun 1, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True, but doesnt the symmetry in the algebra follow from the symmetry of the normal distribution?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  10. Jun 1, 2015 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No:. For a general density we have
    [tex] P(|X-\mu| \leq a) = P(-a \leq X- \mu \leq a) = \int_{\mu-a}^{\mu+a} f(x) \, dx,[/tex]
    whether or not ##f## possesses any symmetry properties.

11. Jun 1, 2015 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't think so. There's absolutely no information about the normal distribution that goes into the algebraic manipulations LCKurtz showed above. The same algebra would have been used if X obeyed a completely different distribution.

12. Jun 1, 2015 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What I meant is that the original formula, in the OP is satisfied by the normal, i.e. ##, P((|X- \mu|)/\sigma <0.675) ## reflects the symmetry of the normal. Obviously, ##|x|< a \rightarrow -a<x<a ## follows straightforward from definition of absolute value. But I guess the OP was referring to the derivation ##P(|x- \mu|/\sigma< 0.675 \rightarrow -0.675 \sigma < P(|x-\mu| )< 0.675 \sigma ##, so my bad, I jumped in without reading carefully.

13. Jun 1, 2015 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It follows from the "symmetry" in the absolute value.

14. Jun 1, 2015 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please check my last post, since I corrected myself. I was referring to something different.

15. Jun 3, 2015 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would that hold? What does ##\mathbb{P}(|X-\mu)|)## even mean???

16. Jun 3, 2015 #15

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\mathb {P}(|x- \mu|)## doesn't mean anything, what I wrote was ##P(|x-\mu|<\sigma (.675))## , which means ##P( -0.675 \sigma < x- \mu < 0.675\sigma ) ##. Anyway, I jumped in without reading carefully and I wrote something that is pointless here.

All I was trying to say (replying to no one but my own head) was that , by symmetry of the normal, ##P( x-\mu< \sigma) =P(x-\mu > -\sigma )## , which is not true for all distributions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted