1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer 2014 reu please share and comment

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    I am thinking about applying for a summer REU, please leave advice and/or experience comments. I am an undergrad math student from a small public liberal arts school in WI. I have gone through the calculus series, and am starting Elementary Number Theory. I have a 3.94 gpa and am finishing my sophomore year. I have no research experience. What do you think my chances of getting an REU are?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2
    I'm not sure, chimath35. I know and have been told they are highly competiteve. I'm a junior and have taken several upper division proof courses such as abstract algebra I and II, couple courses in linear algebra, etc. I've also done research with a professor at my school and presented my work at a conference. With all this, I have been reject from 5 of the 13 places I have applied to, and have not yet heard back from the other 6. I spoke to the UC Berkeleys MSRI UP director and he told me they had 340 applications! You will have a beter chance once you are a junior and have more courses under your belt, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook