Summer 2014 reu please share and comment

• Thread starter chimath35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Summer
In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of an undergrad math student from a small public liberal arts school in WI getting accepted into a summer REU program. The student has a 3.94 GPA and is finishing sophomore year with no research experience. The other person mentions their own experience and how highly competitive these programs are. They also mention speaking to a director at UC Berkeley who stated they received 340 applications. The chances may be better for the student once they are a junior with more courses and research experience.
chimath35
I am thinking about applying for a summer REU, please leave advice and/or experience comments. I am an undergrad math student from a small public liberal arts school in WI. I have gone through the calculus series, and am starting Elementary Number Theory. I have a 3.94 gpa and am finishing my sophomore year. I have no research experience. What do you think my chances of getting an REU are?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, chimath35. I know and have been told they are highly competiteve. I'm a junior and have taken several upper division proof courses such as abstract algebra I and II, couple courses in linear algebra, etc. I've also done research with a professor at my school and presented my work at a conference. With all this, I have been reject from 5 of the 13 places I have applied to, and have not yet heard back from the other 6. I spoke to the UC Berkeleys MSRI UP director and he told me they had 340 applications! You will have a beter chance once you are a junior and have more courses under your belt, though.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to conduct research in their field of interest during the summer.

2. What are the benefits of participating in an REU?

Participating in an REU allows undergraduate students to gain valuable research experience, work closely with faculty mentors, network with other students and professionals in their field, and potentially publish their findings in academic journals.

3. How do I apply for a summer 2014 REU?

To apply for a summer 2014 REU, you will need to find a program that aligns with your research interests and meets your eligibility requirements. You can search for REU programs on the National Science Foundation's website or through your university's research department. Once you have identified a program, you will typically need to submit an application, including your transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

4. Is there a deadline for applying to summer 2014 REUs?

Yes, most REU programs have a deadline for applications, which is typically in the early spring. It is important to check with each individual program for their specific deadline and make sure to submit your application before the deadline to be considered for the program.

5. Can I participate in more than one REU program during the summer?

It is not recommended to participate in more than one REU program during the summer, as the programs are designed to be full-time commitments and require your full attention. Additionally, many REU programs have a clause that prohibits students from participating in another summer program while enrolled in their program. It is important to check with each individual program for their policy on participating in multiple programs.