1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer project ideas? Possibly a cyclotron?

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    I'm looking for some sort of project to do this summer. I was looking around, and I heard about making a small, home-made cyclotron, but it sounds like materials would be hard to get and expensive.

So, does anyone have any examples of a great, preferably time-consuming project that I could complete over the next two months? Something about particle physics, or electromagnetism, waves/optics, or even just a fun contraption to build to study/demonstrate classical mechanics would be cool.

I'm a third year Math/Physics double major with a minor in computer science, so I have some amount of skill/experience and would prefer to tackle a more difficult and interesting project. Preferably a project that wouldn't be too expensive.

Thank you, any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated (especially if you can explain or give a link to an explanation of how to do it).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    Build a Pulsejet or if you're into electricity an ionocraft!

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

particle physics: Wilson cloud chamber

electromagnetism: magnetic Foucault Pendulum interacting with terrestrial magnetic field

waves/optics: spectrograph to measure emission and absorption lines of sunlight

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5
    A Betatron.

Its an electron particle accelerator and easy and simple to build if you'r not aiming for very high energies.
    You can find info about on the wiki and google books.
    I just don't have the tools to build that... if you succeed show us what you made :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook