• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Summer school at undergraduate level?

• Thread starter nora358
  • Start date
Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone knows about physics summer schools, prefarably in theoretical, quantum or particle physics and preferably in Europe? I'm a second year physics student from Finland and would like get to know these areas better to learn more about them and help me write my bachelor's thesis (and choose a subject for it) and get good preparation for my master's degree studies. Most courses I've had so far are at quite a basic and general level and I would like to learn about more current and challenging ideas.

Thanks in advance :)

So, you want to know if there are any schools that only operate during the summer and only teach physics?

Isn't it called a university?

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Isn't it called a university?
Not all universities offer a wide assortment of summer classes. In fact my alma matter - total enrollment 40,000+ students - offers just a handful of physics classes in summer.

Maybe I should have used the word summer course instead, what I'm looking for is an interesting course that I could attend somewhere since my university doesn't offer any physics courses whatsoever during the summer...

The OP isn't looking to take normal physics classes over summer like you might in America - this rarely happens in Europe (at least the countries I'm familiar with). Rather, some sort of 'extra experience' course - like the one I have posted above.

To kramer: I don't know if you're silly enough to actually expect that comment to be worthwhile or helpful, or if you're just trying to be annoying. It is you that has the misunderstanding, not the OP.

Utrecht University have a two week summer school in Theoretical Physics that looks awesome. Look at http://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/ . Its a year out of date, but there is some 2011 related stuff if you dig around.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks, that one sounds really really interesting, unfortunately it's for people who have studied for at least three years and I'm still on my second. I will, however, keep that one in mind for 2012.

Utrecht University have a two week summer school in Theoretical Physics that looks awesome. Look at http://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/ [Broken] . Its a year out of date, but there is some 2011 related stuff if you dig around.
Thanks, I've looked at this one and considered applying for it but I'm unsure if I'm in the target gruop "Advanced bachelors" since I'm a just a second-year student. On the other hand I this will be the last summer vacation I have before earning my bachelor's degree if everything goes according to plan. The text does also say "provides an excellent preparation for entering a master in Theoretical Physics" but I'm not sure if this implies that it would be better to take the course in the summer vacation just before beginning master's degree studies...

Last edited by a moderator: