Summer school at undergraduate level?

In summary: The text does also say "provides an excellent preparation for entering a master in Theoretical Physics" but I'm not sure if this implies that it would be better to take the course in the summer vacation just before beginning master's degree studies...or if it's possible to do it some other time.
nora358
Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone knows about physics summer schools, prefarably in theoretical, quantum or particle physics and preferably in Europe? I'm a second year physics student from Finland and would like get to know these areas better to learn more about them and help me write my bachelor's thesis (and choose a subject for it) and get good preparation for my master's degree studies. Most courses I've had so far are at quite a basic and general level and I would like to learn about more current and challenging ideas.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you want to know if there are any schools that only operate during the summer and only teach physics?

Isn't it called a university?

kramer733 said:
Isn't it called a university?

Not all universities offer a wide assortment of summer classes. In fact my alma matter - total enrollment 40,000+ students - offers just a handful of physics classes in summer.

Maybe I should have used the word summer course instead, what I'm looking for is an interesting course that I could attend somewhere since my university doesn't offer any physics courses whatsoever during the summer...

The OP isn't looking to take normal physics classes over summer like you might in America - this rarely happens in Europe (at least the countries I'm familiar with). Rather, some sort of 'extra experience' course - like the one I have posted above.

To kramer: I don't know if you're silly enough to actually expect that comment to be worthwhile or helpful, or if you're just trying to be annoying. It is you that has the misunderstanding, not the OP.

Utrecht University have a two week summer school in Theoretical Physics that looks awesome. Look at http://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/ . Its a year out of date, but there is some 2011 related stuff if you dig around.

Thanks
Scott

fasterthanjoao said:
http://www.desy.de/summerstudents/ is one I can think of.

Thanks, that one sounds really really interesting, unfortunately it's for people who have studied for at least three years and I'm still on my second. I will, however, keep that one in mind for 2012.

xGAME-OVERx said:
Utrecht University have a two week summer school in Theoretical Physics that looks awesome. Look at http://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/ [Broken] . Its a year out of date, but there is some 2011 related stuff if you dig around.

Thanks, I've looked at this one and considered applying for it but I'm unsure if I'm in the target gruop "Advanced bachelors" since I'm a just a second-year student. On the other hand I this will be the last summer vacation I have before earning my bachelor's degree if everything goes according to plan. The text does also say "provides an excellent preparation for entering a master in Theoretical Physics" but I'm not sure if this implies that it would be better to take the course in the summer vacation just before beginning master's degree studies...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is summer school at the undergraduate level?

Summer school at the undergraduate level is a program offered by universities during the summer months where students can take courses for academic credit. It is often a condensed version of a regular semester course and allows students to catch up on credits, get ahead in their studies, or explore new subjects.

Why should I consider attending summer school at the undergraduate level?

Attending summer school at the undergraduate level can have many benefits. It can help students graduate earlier, improve their GPA, and explore new subjects without the pressure of a full course load. It can also be a great opportunity to network and build relationships with professors and peers.

Will the courses I take during summer school count towards my degree?

Yes, the courses taken during summer school at the undergraduate level will count towards your degree. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses fulfill degree requirements and will transfer to your home institution, if applicable.

Can I receive financial aid for summer school at the undergraduate level?

Yes, financial aid may be available for summer school at the undergraduate level. It is important to check with your university's financial aid office to see what options are available and if you qualify for any assistance.

Do I have to be a current undergraduate student to attend summer school?

No, many universities offer summer school programs for both current undergraduate students and non-degree seeking students. However, it is important to check with the specific university for their requirements and application process for non-degree seeking students.