Staying at the same school for Undergrad, Masters and PhD in Math?

In summary, if you decide to get your Masters and PhD from the same school, it's not bad, but you may want to consider switching schools if all other things are equal.
JessicaJ283782
Hi everyone,

So right now I'm an undergrad who is considering getting my Masters and PhD in math. However, I had one question. If someone wants to work in Academia, is it "bad" to get all three degrees from the same place? Where I'm currently studying, some of the professors in the math department (received all three degrees from the same college), but they have been here for 30 years.

The reason I'm asking is this; I've gotten to know some of the professors in the Math department, and their research really interests me. We've had conversations about their research, going through their publications, etc. I have also gotten to know the PhD/Masters coordinator on a personal level, and by the time I graduate, he will have known me for four years (I was in a couple of classes of his and we kept in touch after), and I will have hopefully worked on a research project with him by the time I graduate (he is also the adviser of an REU program).

I have also gotten to know another professor since he is the adviser of a club I've been the President of, so I will have worked with him for four years as well.

I honestly really want to stay here for many reasons, like the ones I listed above, so is that acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
If all other things are equal in the decision between schools, it's generally advisable to go with the different one. For some reason people seem to translate this into "if you don't change schools you're doomed." In your case it doesn't seem like all other things are equal and staying is, in and of itself, unlikely to have much of an impact on your academic career.

The reality is that there are advantages and disadvantages to either path.

You've outlined some very good reasons to stay.

What you give up are things like:
- expanding your network (academic, professional, social)
- exposure to different teaching styles/philosophies
- living in a different city/environment

Choppy said:
You've outlined some very good reasons to stay.

That is true, but a classic book on management published way back in 1972 (Weinberg, The Psychology of Computer Programming) had this very good advice:

"If somebody is indispensable in an organization, the best plan is to fire them as quickly as possible."

If that seems a bit harsh, rephrase it as "All good things come to an end eventually, so you need to learn how to deal with that situation." School is (or should be) for learning about life, not just for learning your academic subject.

1. How does staying at the same school for Undergrad, Masters and PhD in Math benefit me?

Staying at the same school for all levels of education in math allows for continuity and familiarity in your academic environment. This can lead to stronger relationships with professors and peers, as well as a deeper understanding of the school's curriculum and resources.

2. Will staying at the same school limit my opportunities for research and networking?

No, staying at the same school does not limit your opportunities for research and networking. In fact, it may provide more opportunities as you will have more time to establish connections and participate in research projects with professors and colleagues.

3. What if I want to change my research focus during my PhD program?

Changing your research focus during your PhD program is not uncommon, and staying at the same school can actually make this transition smoother. Your professors and colleagues will already be familiar with your work and can provide guidance and support as you explore new research topics.

4. How will staying at the same school affect my job prospects after graduation?

Staying at the same school for all levels of education in math can be advantageous for your job prospects. Employers often value consistency and dedication, and staying at the same school can demonstrate these qualities. Additionally, you may have built strong connections with faculty and alumni, which can lead to job opportunities.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to staying at the same school for all levels of education in math?

One potential drawback is that staying at the same school may limit your exposure to different academic environments and perspectives. This can be mitigated by actively seeking out opportunities to attend conferences, workshops, and collaborate with researchers from other institutions. Additionally, it is important to keep an open mind and actively seek out new challenges and experiences within your own institution.