Sum of 1/(n!*n) and 1/(n!*n²) series

  • Thread starter Thread starter zli034
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
zli034
Messages
106
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I just trying to sum this series, 1/(n!*n) n from 1 to infinity. also similar 1/(n!*n^2)


Homework Equations



[tex]\sum\frac{1}{(n!*n)}[/tex]
[tex]\sum\frac{1}{(n!*n^2)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I know[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n!}=e[/tex]
[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n}=ln[/tex]

My math technique is rusty, can anyone help? thanks in advance. ciao
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of 1/n isn't ln. It diverges. And both of those sums involve nasty non-elementary functions. I only know this because I looked them up. Why do you think you have to evaluate them exactly? A numerical approximation to both converges very rapidly.
 
Thanks. I am doing study on statistics. On some topic I have sum up probabilities of infinite number of events. I have done numberical approximation with excel, and the result is equivalent to a specific event. I was trying to show why.