Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Insights Super p-Brane Theory Emerging from Super Homotopy Theory - Comments

1. Jul 14, 2017 #1

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2017 #2

arivero

Gold Member

Well, I like the bottleneck in D=9 in the last diagram.

4. Jul 14, 2017 #3
    A great addition to a wonderful series!

5. Jul 14, 2017 #4

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry for having referred to the article for details towards the end. I now went and added a little more text to go with that last diagram. Because the reason for its hour glass look is not that there is a bottleneck in the extension process here, but because towards the right the diagram shows cocycles, and to the left it shows the homotopy fibers of these cocycles.

Namely on the right is shown the double dimensional reduction of the F1/Dp-brane cocycles for d=10 type IIA and type IIB, respectively. The triangle on the right expresses that down in 9 these become equivalent. This is T-duality on the cocycle level. Specifically, it turns out that in components this equivalence is the Buscher rule for RR-fields (derived thereby, from first principles). Now by functoriality of homotopy fibers, also the extensions classified by these cocycles become equivalent, and this is expressed by the triangle on the left. These equivalent extensions thus classified turn out to be the doubled superspacetimes with their B-field generalized geometry, and their equivalence is hence T-duality made manifest as a symmetry of the doubled spacetime.

6. Jul 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Man that's beautiful stuff.

Wish my math was up to the full details these days.

It taps out at RHS's - that's about my limit.

Love reading your articles though.

Thanks
    Bil

7. Jul 18, 2017 at 2:08 AM #6

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Let me amplify that while homotopy theory in general and rational homotopy theory (RHS) in particular provide the full story that I am sketching above, most of the results surveyed above may be seen already via elementary means by considering just "FDA"s as used in supergravity, augmented only by the standard algorithm for computing homotopy (co-)fibers. The lecture notes at ncatlab.org/nlab/print/geometry+of+physics+--+fundamental+super+p-branes are written for an audience with no particular background, are expository, detailed and self-contained. And for something half-way between the terse slides for the above and these full lecture notes, there is also these seminar notes: ncatlab.org/schreiber/print/Super+Lie+n-algebra+of+Super+p-branes.

(Best viewed with Firefox or one of its derivatives, since other browsers will call MathJax to render the formulas, which then takes ages.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted