Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductivity for other forces

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if superconductivity could theoretically be accomplished somehow with the weak and strong forces and gravity just as it could be accomplished in the electromagnetic field. Would superconductivity of the strong force be the same as cold fusion or something? Would superconductivity of the weak force disintegrate atoms? Would superconductivity of the gravitational force allow for constant zero gravity, or are there limitations to this because of the bending of space? Since superconductivity is categorized by the meisner effect, would something similar happen to a gravitational superconducter, but the matter the be expelled from space itself and enter its own universe, perhaps some black hole phenomena would happen? Interested to know what you guys think of this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Um... no.

You are presumably talking about something analagous to the phenomenon of superconductivity with respect to different forces, so the actual answer would depend a lot on what you think the word means. i.e. what would you consider "conductivity" for an EM force ... and then what would you consider to be analogous to that for something like gravity?

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3
    It is believed that for very high densities and low temperatures, quark matter is in a type of superconducting phase. Look up "color superconductivity" or "color-flavor locking".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_superconductivity

I don't know the details so I can't tell you how similar it actually is to normal superconductivity.

Try googling "electroweak superconductivity" and you will find some results.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... oh yeah: I was using a 4-force model.
    But notice how each of the above rely on some interpretation of what "superconducting" means in each context?

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the electroweak realm, you get dynamical electroweak superconductivity - http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0304036. From the strong force, you theoretically have color superconductivity - http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/0410091. Gravity, of course, is the red headed step child. It is hypothesized such a state could produce anti gravity, but, is still considered highly speculative. I'm still unconvinced gravity is a 'force' in the same sense as the other fundamental forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook