Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supernova Dimming and Angular Distance Diameter

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    I was reading an article and came across the idea that cosmological measurements of the angular distance diameter could be used to prove that supernova dimming did not occur due to dark energy. However I could not wrap my head around it. Angular distance diameter is giving by:

dA = x / θ where x is the objects actual size and θ is the angular size of the object as viewed from Earth.

When I was reading it, I assumed it had something to do with the redshift relationship but it wasnt particular clear.

Anyone enlightening the situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2
    without seeing the I couldn't say on the DE relation. The angular size is affected by redshift. beyond redshift approximately z=1.5, the angular diameter distance is a good approximation of proper distance up to that value.

da= r(X)/1+z.

where r(X)=X when k=0 (flat universe geometry).

edit this article covers what your after.

http://www.nicadd.niu.edu/~bterzic/PHYS652/Lecture_07.pdf

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. Jun 26, 2013 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, the short answer is that distances measured via the brightness of supernovae and distances measured via the angular diameter distance agree with one another.

That is to say, if you run an estimate of cosmology based upon an angular diameter distance measure (such as the baryon acoustic oscillations measure), then to within the experimental errors, the result agrees with the cosmology you infer from supernova brightnesses (with dark energy and all).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook