Superposition of 3 point masses

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of the net gravitational force on sphere B due to spheres A and C, with given distances and masses. The solution involves using the equation F = GMm/r^2 and Pythagoras' theorem to find the net force, which results in a value of 3.40125 × 10^-9. The inaccuracy in the initial calculation was due to a limited display on the calculator.
bravoman

Homework Statement

In the figure below, three 2.00 kg spheres are located at distances d1 = 0.300 m and d2 = 0.400 m. What are the magnitude and direction of the net gravitational force on sphere B due to spheres A and C?

13-33.gif

Homework Equations

F = GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F=sqrt((4G/0.4^2)^2 + (4G/0.3^2)^2)
F = 3.0E-9

But that answer is wrong. Is there a mistake in my arithmetic? Of am i missing another term?

Physics news on Phys.org
bravoman said:
Is there a mistake in my arithmetic?
Yes. please post all steps.

F (B->C) = G(2)(2)/(0.4^2) = 4G/0.16
F (B->A) = G(2)(2)/(0.3^2) = 4G/0.09

F (B->net) = F(B->C) + F(B->A)
Can't add these together since they aren't the same direction, so use Pythagoras' theorem:

F^2 (B->net) = F^2(B->C) + F^2(B->A) = sqrt((4G/0.16)^2 + (4G/0.09)^2)

bravoman said:
F (B->C) = G(2)(2)/(0.4^2) = 4G/0.16
F (B->A) = G(2)(2)/(0.3^2) = 4G/0.09

F (B->net) = F(B->C) + F(B->A)
Can't add these together since they aren't the same direction, so use Pythagoras' theorem:

F^2 (B->net) = F^2(B->C) + F^2(B->A) = sqrt((4G/0.16)^2 + (4G/0.09)^2)
Yes, I understand you're doing that, but your result is inaccurate (not wildly wrong). I can't tell where the inaccuracy comes in unless you post all steps.

Just had a thought... is this what you meant to post, or have you left out a digit?
bravoman said:
3.0E-9

haruspex said:
Yes, I understand you're doing that, but your result is inaccurate (not wildly wrong). I can't tell where the inaccuracy comes in unless you post all steps.
Im sorry, I don;t understand what you mean by "Post all steps", these are all the steps I have done. What more is there?

haruspex said:
Just had a thought... is this what you meant to post, or have you left out a digit?
3.0E-9 is the result my calculator gives me, although the numbers may be cut-off since the calculator display is limited to 10 digits. I'll use an online calculator and see if it makes a difference

bravoman said:
3.0E-9 is the result my calculator gives me, although the numbers may be cut-off since the calculator display is limited to 10 digits. I'll use an online calculator and see if it makes a difference
wolfram alpha gives 3.40125... × 10^-9 , so that might be the problem. Can you verify that the way I did the question is indeed correct?

bravoman said:
wolfram alpha gives 3.40125... × 10^-9 , so that might be the problem
Here are my steps (spreadsheet)
d1= 0.3
d2= 0.4
1/d1^4= 123.46
1/d2^4= 39.06
sum= 162.52
sqrt(sum)= 12.75
G= 6.67E-011
m*m= 4
*G*m*m= 3.40E-009

haruspex said:
Here are my steps (spreadsheet)
d1= 0.3
d2= 0.4
1/d1^4= 123.46
1/d2^4= 39.06
sum= 162.52
sqrt(sum)= 12.75
G= 6.67E-011
m*m= 4
*G*m*m= 3.40E-009

3.40125 × 10^-9 is indeed the correct answer! It was my calculator that ran out of displaying digits to properly show the number. Thank you for your time.

1. What is the concept of superposition in physics?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that when two or more waves or particles interact, the resulting wave or particle is the sum of the individual waves or particles. This means that the combined effect of the interactions is equal to the sum of the individual effects.

2. How does superposition apply to 3 point masses?

In the context of 3 point masses, superposition refers to the calculation of the gravitational force between three masses by considering each mass individually and then summing up the forces to determine the overall force acting on each mass. This is based on the principle that the gravitational force between two masses is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between three point masses?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between three point masses is F = (Gm1m2/r122) + (Gm1m3/r132) + (Gm2m3/r232), where F is the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1, m2, and m3 are the masses of the three objects, and r12, r13, and r23 are the distances between them.

4. What is the significance of superposition in studying the behavior of celestial bodies?

Superposition is an important concept in studying the behavior of celestial bodies because it allows us to simplify complex systems and make accurate predictions about the motions and interactions of multiple objects in space. By breaking down the system into individual components and using the principle of superposition, we can better understand the gravitational forces at play and make accurate predictions about the behavior of these objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of superposition in physics?

While superposition is a useful principle in many areas of physics, it does have its limitations. For example, it does not always hold true in systems with non-linear interactions, such as in chaotic systems or systems with strong electromagnetic forces. Additionally, superposition does not account for the effects of relativity in very large or high-speed systems. Therefore, it is important for scientists to consider these limitations and use other theories and principles when necessary.