1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of Two Travelling Waves, Different Amplitudes

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm looking at an E&M textbook - "Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields". They state:
    "A more general ##x ## polarized field is one consisting of waves traveling in opposite directions with unequal amplitudes - i.e :
    (1) $$ E_{x} = Ae^{-jkz} +Ce^{jkz}$$
    Let ## A ## and ##C## be real. We express the field in terms of an amplitude and phase. This gives:
    (2) $$E_{x} = \sqrt{A^{2}+C^{2}+2ACcos(2kz)} \ e^{-jtan^{-1} \bigg( \frac{A-C}{A+C} tan(kz) \bigg) } $$" ​

But I can't see where this comes from.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It would have though that amplitude is coming out of a cosine rule - that there is a vector triangle with ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{C}## as two sides. In the argand/phasor diagram, the angle between ##Ae^{-jz} ## and ##Ce^{jz}## is going to be fixed (for any given time) as ##2kz## (or ## 2\pi -2kz ##) So by applying the cosine rule, I'd expect:
    $$ |E_{x}| = |A|^{2}+|C|^{2} -2|A||C|cos(2kz) $$
    But in the book there is a plus. Is this a typo, or have I messed up?

and I can get the phase from just expanding out ##E_{x} ## into components - from (1):
    $$E_{x}= (A+C) cos(kz) + j(C-A)sin(kz)$$
    So if we want to write ## E_{x} ## as: $$E_{x} = |E_{x}| e^{j\phi} = |E_{x}| (cos\phi + jsin\phi)$$ Then:
    $$ tan(\phi) = \frac{C-A}{A+C} tan(kz) \implies tan(-\phi) = \frac{A-C}{A+C} tan(kz), \therefore \phi =-tan^{-1}\bigg(\frac{A-C}{A+C} tan(kz) \bigg) $$

If that second bit is right - is the reason that we can't equate amplitude of that equation with the book amplitude because we have ignored time dependence? Just started doing this, so any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to calculate the modulus of
    $$E_{x}= (A+C) cos(kz) + j(C-A)sin(kz)$$.

4. Aug 5, 2015 #3
    Ah, that's embarrassing. Out of interest - why is the cosine rule idea not valid? Please see picture.
    **EDIT**: Oops, in the diagram ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{C}## have the opposite phase to as written in the question.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted